2000 Taurus-EGR & rack & pinion steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 19:27   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus-EGR & rack & pinion steering

Hello all! Last August, my 2000 Taurus SE began sputtering and doing funny things upon acceleration until the engine light came on. Mechanic replaced EGR Vacuum Regulator and the EGR Defferential/Pressure Feedback sensor.

Well, now the same thing is happening all over again, only my mechanic had surgery last fall and, due to post-surgical complications, is not back to work. He is a lovely man, sole proprietor, so no one else but him.

Something related to the EGR was replaced in March 2007 also, different mechanic than above, all he wrote was EGR on the slip.

In July 2008, the same mechanic who replaced EGR in March 2007 replaced the rack and pinion steering column to the tune of $600+. Power steering fluid leaking again and a different mechanic altogether said the rack and pinion steering column needed replaced.

HELP! Is this normal to have repairs made over and over again? I take care of all preventive maintenance and don't drive like a maniac, so what gives?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much.
cbattisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 Taurus-EGR & rack & pinion steering

What is the car doing? You can also get the codes checked for free at Autozone or Advanced auto parts.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16   #3 (permalink)

Car is idling very rough, accelerating poorly--could not even reach highway speeds last evening on my way home, it's lurching, etc.

Steering wise it's fine except for a slow leak in power steering fluid and a loud "humming" noise when I turn the wheel hard left or right.
cbattisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Have the codes checked to see what comes up. Gert some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF. Post teh results.

The powe steering will always make a noise if you turn the wheel all the way to the end.

You may be better off finding a good repair shop to see what's up.
Old 02-21-2011, 14:10   #5 (permalink)

Hi. I have a 2000 Ford Taurus. 178,000 miles. I had the rack replaced at 80,000 and at 170,00 miles. That is not common for me but I had to fix this car because I needed it.
How many miles does this car have. You might need your spark plugs and wires changed. You might need your PCV valve changed. It could be a vacuum leak. Start with the inexpensive stuff first like your plugs and wires. Get your codes checked at Autozone or other chains that will do it for free.

First you need to find a good mechanic. Not autozone or pepboys or chain shops because alot of times they have one good mechanic and a bunch of young kids just learning the trade. That has been my experience.
I went on a website called CarTalk and they have a column called the mechanic files. You probably can find a good mechanic there for the area you live in. Good luck and let me know how it went.
Schleprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 15:09   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Autozone doesn't have any mechanics but they will pull codes for free.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007