2000 Taurus Misfire - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 20:26   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus Misfire

I have the 2000 Taurus 3.0 OHV Flex Fuel. Scan tool said cylinder 1 missfire. It was running rough because the #1 spark plug gap was almost closed. I went ahead and replaced the plugs and wires. Ran real good then missfire. Insulation broke on spark plug. Autolite plug. Relpaced again and ran good for a couple months. Now it has cylinder 5 missfire. Changed plug, but still has the missfire. I didn't notice it at first but I scrolled through the scan tool and it has a cylinder 6 missfire and a cylinder 1 missfire again. Car has not over heated during the 88,000 miles I put on it. It had 100,000 when I got it. Last night it was blowing coolant out the filler tank cap. No smoke out the tail pipe yet. I recently replaced the heater hose assembly and maybe I didnt get the right amount of water back in the system and it was over heating, but not according to the gauge and the car was just a little low on coolant but not much. I'm starting to suspect it needs new head gaskets. The thermostat is working and its is getting spark. Maybe I got cheap crap plugs and wires, but I've never had a problem with new wires before or plugs. Cold engine the #4 cylinder is at 100psi while 5 is at 50psi and 6 at 70 psi. Warmed the engine up to normal operating temperature and #4 is at 100psi while 5 and 6 are at 90psi. Thers no loss of power runs good once you give it the gas and get going. Runs fine on the freeway. Any suggestions?
mr_j71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 14:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 taurus cylinder 5 missfire

I ran a commperssion test. Cylinder 4 was at 100, cylinder 5 and 6 were at 90. The minimum allowed is 100. I still have to do it again and squirt oil in the cylinders.

The dealer says my car has low compression in cylinder #5 and 6% leak down in cylinder #6. They recommend I replace the engine. What would cause a 6%leak down?

The motor has 189,000 miles on it. I can get one from a wrecked car with 36,000 for $745.00 delivered. What do you guys think I should do?

J
Old 05-12-2009, 19:25   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_j71 View Post
I ran a commperssion test. Cylinder 4 was at 100, cylinder 5 and 6 were at 90. The minimum allowed is 100. I still have to do it again and squirt oil in the cylinders.

The dealer says my car has low compression in cylinder #5 and 6% leak down in cylinder #6. They recommend I replace the engine. What would cause a 6%leak down?

The motor has 189,000 miles on it. I can get one from a wrecked car with 36,000 for $745.00 delivered. What do you guys think I should do?

J

Hello and good day:

May I suggest you get a second opinion on this matter....I would take to to other Mechanic and Have a second compression test.

$745.00 sounds about averge for a Used motor with that amount of miles on it. But how much is the Labor going to run??

You may want to consider that the Head, or the Head Gasket itself just needs to be replaced..

The Guys that you may wish to contact here for more advice would be (Tbird,Jwko,Shoz,360, or the Fonz) These guys are good and they would give you a better idea, on what would be needed.
Old 05-12-2009, 19:59   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Hello and good day:

May I suggest you get a second opinion on this matter....I would take to to other Mechanic and Have a second compression test.

$745.00 sounds about averge for a Used motor with that amount of miles on it. But how much is the Labor going to run??

You may want to consider that the Head, or the Head Gasket itself just needs to be replaced..

The Guys that you may wish to contact here for more advice would be (Tbird,Jwko,Shoz,360, or the Fonz) These guys are good and they would give you a better idea, on what would be needed.

Well I did the compression test myself before I took it to the dealer. I just have to do it again and squirt oil into the cylinder. I've considered just changing out the head gaskets ect. I'm just trying to get some more opinions and advise. If I get the used engine I will install it myself. The car just started running rough and its not the plugs, wires, coil, vacum leak, ect as far as I can tell. The only thing I can think of is the head gaskets. It even passed smog with flying colors about a month ago. I just dont think its bad rings or valves. I read a link about leak down that someone gave me and it said "Leak-down readings of up to 20% are usually acceptable while greater than that requires a repair." I'm at 6% and if that statement is true then I should be ok - yes or no? I'm consider myself a pretty good mechanic when it comes to replacing engines and parts and fixing cars ect. If I know exactly whats wrong with it I can easily fix it, but the problem is that It takes me a while to diagnosis the problem sometimes. In this case I'm trying to get some expert advise, because I'd rather just replace the head gaskets if I can get away with it.

Thank
J
Old 05-15-2009, 21:31   #5 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Taurus Misfire

hey mr 171, i need your help for a little problem i got of my own, i have the same car and engine and need a little help, ya can reach me at AIM evaunit01berserk or here
Evaunit01p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:07   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2000 Taurus Misfire

mrJ_71:

If you're comfortable with replacing an engine, then I'd replace the head gaskets. As you mentioned it may have overheated, so the heads may be warped. The gaskets should run around $40-50 and can be purchased online (Jegs, Napa Online, etc). While the heads are off you can get them checked for leaks and proper balance. If you can do the labour and have the time it'd be more than worth while in my book.

Worst case, is that the piston rigs are gone, or the rings are wearing down parts of the cylinder wall causing blow-by; or low compression. Also, with the heads off, check the valves for any built up carbon, and clean as necessary.

I'm not sure about this "leak down" thing you mentioned, unless this is a new term that I haven't heard yet to replace an old term of some kind. Anyway, keep an eye on all fluid levels. If you don't mind spending $20-25 or so, you can send in an ounce of your engine oil to a lab for diagnosis. They'll tell you if there's coolant or other crap in there that shouldn't be. I get diags done on my vehicles every year, half way between an oil change.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007