2000 Taurus Not starting/crank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 14:56   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus Not starting/crank

Im not sure if this is the right spot to post this in being though this is my first post. My 2000 taurus has been sitting for a while since about august and every so often i would start it. Im going to be getting rid of it soon bc the hole subframe is rotten( thats why its been sitting). Before i get rid of it i want to part it. Last week when i went to move it bc it was in my way, the first time i turned the key it wouldn't start not even crank the starter.. but the second time i turned the key it started right up. A few days later i tried to start it and no matter how many times i turned they key it would not start. So i figured maybe it went into theft mode from me turning the key so many times, i tried it the next day and nothing. I know its not the battery bc the battery is new and i also charged it/jumped it to see if that would work. I also cleaned all the terminals on the battery. What could be causing this not to start? When i opened the hood today i say a chipmunk in there, so could they have knocked some wires off? I looked but everything looks ok. Also when u turn the key all the instrument cluster lights light up normal and u could hear the fuel pump turn on like normal. Thanks everyone for your help!!!
jbizub5192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 17:22   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 Taurus Not starting/crank

Have you tried it in neutral too? How about a different key.
Old 11-19-2010, 18:50   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Taurus Not starting

Have you looked at the aspect that it may be the Starter?? Look at your connection there...May I ask do you know how to test the Starter, or over ride it??

There are quite a few of us here that can help you further if you need..
Old 11-22-2010, 18:31   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.. So yesterday i figured i would try starting it and same thing nothing, but then later yesterday i tired it and it started right up, so i let it run for a little bit. Then i shut it off then tired to start it again and nothing! I have 2 keys and i was using them bolth hopping it would be as easy as a bad key. It seems like it is a hit or miss if it will start. Any ideas what could be causing this?
jbizub5192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 19:31   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check the connections as Stering_six mentioned. If you get it running, see if Autozone can pull any codes.
Old 12-03-2010, 20:48   #6 (permalink)

Any luck with this? I have a 1991 Taurus, and have been having intermitent starting problems like you mention. I turn the key and hear a click (starter relay I assume), but nothing else. While having the battery checked (it was fine) I figured out by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery a few times it would start fine. This happened once in a while for about a year, but then it started happening like every time I tried to start it. My mechanic thought it was the starter and replaced it. Got better for about a month, but it just happened (once) a few nights ago, and has been fine since. So if it has a new starter, and newer battery; what else could be wrong (that gets overidden by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery)? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
windsordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 20:48   #7 (permalink)

Make that a 99 Taurus
windsordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 22:40   #8 (permalink)
sixshooter

That sounds like the starter solenoid needs replacing but you will probably have to buy a complete starter.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
That sounds like the starter solenoid needs replacing but you will probably have to buy a complete starter.
The 2000 starter has the solenoid on the starter.

Check all of the connections, grounds too. What does your mechanic say about it?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:56   #10 (permalink)
yol

Hi all,

I had similar problem a couple of months ago so here is what i did :
the symptom was that when turning the switch to start the car nothing happen - all lights in cluster were normal plus fuel pump sounded initially .
i bypassed the starter's solenoid (took a jumpstart cable connected one side to battery and touched the starters terminal on the other side) but yet the starter did not sound.
- i then called my wife to hold the switch in the start position and while she is doing so i took a long metal bar, placed it on the starter and with a hammer gave the bar a gentle stroke - the starter immediately woke up and started the engine.
i then drove directly to the workshop, removed the starter and disassembled it - it had a broken assembly inside, after replacing (and cleaning it all inside) its back and good as new. total of ~$90 .

hope it helps ...
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007