2000 Taurus SE - hit curb, now battery's dead? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus SE - hit curb, now battery's dead?

So my girlfriend cut a corner too sharp, and ran over a curb with the passenger side back wheel (in a grocery parking lot, going maybe 10mph). When the car came off the curb, she heard a loud thunk. Parked the car, did her shopping, then drove off. And then, she started loosing power....tachometer, spedometer, all dashboard went dead, car starts surging and cutting in and out, and eventually dies. I checked it out after work, and didn't see any damage to the rear where she ran up on the curb. I also checked all connections to the battery and starter, and the ground, everything looks okay, but the battery's dead. IS this a strange coincidence, or could driving over the curb with your back tire somehow break something loose that would cause this?

I've pulled the battery and tried charging it, but it won't charge over 64% for some reason (it's only 3.5 years old, never had a problem with it before). I couldn't really get a good look at the alternator last night, as I didn't have a flashlight or any tools, and it's not easy to get to from above the car. I'm guessing it could be a bad battery, or the alternator went out. But I'm just bewildered that this happened exactly at the same time as hitting the curb. I read somewhere on this forum that a loose fuse could possibly cause the cutting out of power, but would that relate to a dead battery?

In any case, I'm taking the battery back to the store for a replacement (hopefully), and then I can at least get the car home where I can dig into this more. Just wondering if this makes sense to anyone else out there, because I have no clue how this issue could be related to hitting a curb, and I'm completely open to the possibility that this is just coincidence (but I still need to figure out what's wrong with the dang car).

Thanks for any input..

Jeff
hutcho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 12:14   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2000 Taurus SE - hit curb, now battery's dead?

The only thing I know that could be affected, is the fuel cut off inertia switch. It's located inside the truck in that area.

I'm betting it's just a coincidence and it's the battery's time to go.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 19:33   #3 (permalink)

It's not the enertia switch. If it was the car would not run period. No fuel. " did her shopping and drove off ". 3.5 years for a battery is about all it's good for. 5 years if you
payed over 100 dollars for it. Maybe and that is pushing it. Look for a wiring problem from
the alt to the battery. Was the battery tied down ? did the case brake ? Does the alt. charge ? You have to do some testing.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42   #4 (permalink)

Well, it does appear to be the battery (got it from Sam's club). I tried charging it, and it would only charge to about 60%. I took it in to Sam's, and it wouldn't hold a charge and came back bad. Of course, it had just expired the full warenty, but I got prorated a little bit for the limited warrenty. After installing the new battery, car runs great. I drove it right over to my local O'Reilys store and had them hook up their diagnostic dealy to the battery to see if the alternator was working properly. It eventually indicated that it was getting low voltage. I'm assuming this might indicate the voltage regulator could be about to go, or the alternator itself could be going. But I'm also wondering if it would read that just because the battery is brand new and fully charged already? The guys who helped me were new to this instrument and obviously didn't really know how to read it. They had me start the car, but didn't ask to turn on the lights or the fan or radio, or do anything to really draw power. So I'm just going to drive the car for a few days and see how it performs. I might head to a different store and have it checked again just to see.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:23   #5 (permalink)

If that is the original alternator in your car it's done. A fully charged battery will still
show 14+ volts on the test gauge.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:56   #6 (permalink)

Yep, alternator was shot too. Car broke down again (the battery died because it wasn't being charged), but also this time, one of the coolant hose connections broke and we almost overheated. I've got the new alternator, and fixed the hose connection. I'm figuring, while I've got it all torn apart and the radiator drained, might as well replace the thermostat and flush the coolant system. Then I got to thinking, I bet that water pump's never been replaced, so I pulled that out. After looking at it though, it looks just fine. I'm somewhat second-guessing whether to replace it or not (why fix something that ain't broke....except that now would be the time to prevent that from happening). Any suggestions out there? How long are the water pumps intended to last? What are some tell-tale signs that one is good or not?

Thanks. Hope to get this car running good again soon.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46   #7 (permalink)

If you have the water pump off don't even think it. replace it. I've seen water pumps
go in 2 months. I've seen them last 10 years. I have original water pumps in my flathead
motor. 1934. Here is the thing. The motor stuff in those days were repairable. Now everything is throw away.
Old 06-02-2009, 19:28   #8 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If you have the water pump off don't even think it. replace it. I've seen water pumps
go in 2 months. I've seen them last 10 years. I have original water pumps in my flathead
motor. 1934. Here is the thing. The motor stuff in those days were repairable. Now everything is throw away.
Ain't that the truth! I inherited a 1934 Ford Model B 1/2 ton truck (4cyl) around 2002. It was very easy to work on! I just couldn't handle finishing the body work (fenders), so I sold it. When I got it the engine would stall out going up the slightest incline. I pulled the oil pan and literally, PULLED, gelled oil out from the bottom of the engine. The vehicle was in fairly good shape for the year with minimal rust, but damn, was that ever gross! Once I got fresh fluids in all around, it ran great! Then I told the wife to get out and fuel it, since she was sitting on the tank - that was priceless.

hutcho3 - I get my electrical system load tested in all my vehicles every fall. Last thing I need is a component to fail when it's -42C outside before windchill. The shop I take it to is great, they mostly do large, commercial and over the road truck alternator rebuilds. Best $10 I could spend. My '99 Taurus just had a replacement alternator installed. I went with new, not rebuilt so it cost me, but damn is it ever nice (polished too!).
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05   #9 (permalink)

If your already in there I'd replace everything,so your not tearing it down again in 2 more months.

Here's a link to our Ford Taurus Parts section.We sell quite a few repair parts for these cars.

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 21:50   #10 (permalink)

Yep, it didn't take much convincing, I went and grabbed a new water pump and just installed that, and replaced the thermostat. Next question: Does the serpentine belt really only go on nice and snug when it's installed right? I didn't think I'd be working on this so long and didn't draw the routing when I took it off a few weeks ago. I just spent about an hour trying various paths, and think I've got it installed right now. I have it going around the power steering pump, down around the alternator, then up around the tensioner pulley, down around the crankshaft pulley, over to the AC compressor pulley, then under the water pump and back up to the power steering pump.

Anybody know the correct routing for the serpentine belt on a 2000 Taurus SE sedan with the 3.0L Duratec DOHC engine with AC? Just want to make sure I have it on right before attempting to start it up again.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007