2000 Taurus SE (Wagon) Maintenance Tips, Please advise!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus SE (Wagon) Maintenance Tips, Please advise!!!

Im terrible when it comes to keeping my car up and running, lack of time and knowledge is to be blamed, but I just did an oil change, oil filter, spark plugs and tranny fluid...What else can I do to the car thats needed that I may have missed....My car has 128k miles, and this is the forth time I have done this same procedure in 2 years....Ideas please.....
ilovemywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 22:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Taurus SE (Wagon) Maintenance Tips, Please advise!!!

I have a copy of the Ford "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" For that year and at 120K miles you;
Change oil+filter,inspect entire brake system,inspect engine cooling system,inspect exhaust system and heat shields,inspect steering system,suspension,and balljoints,inspect tires for wear and rotate,replace engine aur filter,replace fuel filter,cabin air filter if equipped,change transmission fluid if equipted with AX4S,4F50N,4R70W,4R100,or 4F27E transmission (sorry I don't know which you have).
I would also chech all vacuum hoses and heater hoses and replace any that are suspect. Always a good idea to lubricate all locks,hinges etc too.

I checked;you have an AX4S transmission so you do change the fluid and filter.
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemywagon View Post
Im terrible when it comes to keeping my car up and running, lack of time and knowledge is to be blamed, but I just did an oil change, oil filter, spark plugs and tranny fluid...What else can I do to the car thats needed that I may have missed....My car has 128k miles, and this is the forth time I have done this same procedure in 2 years....Ideas please.....
Hello and good day:

I also have a 2000 Taurus SE Wagon, and We have loved this car for years.

Regular Oil changes every 3k or 5k are great...I use a High mileage oil.
I do a Anti Freeze Flush once a year in the spring.
Every 10k to 15k I do a Transmission Filter Change.
I have only done a Transmission Flush once.
Under the Hood I look for Loose or broken Hoses, Wires etc.
I always change the Plugs every 2 years, with good quality Plugs.
Every year I clean the Throttle body, IAC, and MAs.
Change the PVC every 10k.

These are some of the regular maintenance I do. But if you follow that Ford Maintenance book, you will pull your hair out..lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 14:02   #4 (permalink)

Hey thanks a million, NoLeaks & Sterling, I will definitely followup on each and every tip you guys gave me....
ilovemywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 17:45   #5 (permalink)
canuck

On top of the earlier maintenance intervals that Sterling does to his beast. I also wash the engine compartment twice a year, check tire pressures twice a month along with tread to make sure it's wearing evenly. I do one oil change a year, adding a half a quart around the 6-7 month mark (full synthetic). I oilspray the underbody and such twice a year, once in the spring after the snow is gone and before the snow arrives in the fall.

I also replace windshield wipers every spring, as the ice generally kills the blades after winter here. I use NGK copper plugs, nothing fancy. Change them out every two years. I used to change the air filter every four months. I've since gone with Amsoil EAA filter that should last me a few years.

Seafoam doesn't hurt any on higher mileage units. I ran Amsoil Power Foam (seafoam alternative) last year on my '99 Taurus and mileage improved all around. I'll do it again this year, and perhaps get a video. Just be sure to remove the air intake (in the case of Amsoil power foam) as you don't want to spray it over the MAF sensor.

I also spray the door seals (weatherstripping) a few times throughout the winter with silicone spray to prevent frost/freezing damage.

And, yeah I think that's it off the top of my head.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's why anybody that buys 360ci used cars are getting a VERY well cared for car.
Old 01-13-2011, 19:41   #7 (permalink)
canuck

Thanks Bert!

I have a bad tendency of owning vehicles until the value sinks so low that they're barely good enough to sell for parts. My '99 Taurus should easily last another 5 years!

At least if I did sell, I'd get a good price as 1) I've owned it since new and have all the records of service 2) above and beyond regular maintenance, right down to interior cleanings has been performed 3) I replaced the suspension at 200,000kms, which two dealers didn't even have part numbers for..."You want what?" 4) in a few months I'll install Amsoil ATF and will be officially 100% Amsoil!

ilovemywagon - be sure to keep and store all maintenance records. It won't hurt to get a tune up done twice a year, but it's totally unnecessary. Most shops when you specify "tune up" vaguely means "replace spark plugs and check everything else/replace as required". It's always a good idea to get info like this form provides, before you enter a shop or dealer, and they throw options at you that you don't need.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 01-13-2011, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I keep most of my cars quite awhile too. Seems like to much trouble to look for one that might have been cared for. I never owned a new car even though I worked in dealers and could have gotten a deal. My wife calls me cheap but I told her I'm just thrifty.

I gave a 1980 F150 several months ago to a friend that helped me with some digging around my house. It had 253,000 miles and his wife uses it as her only car since the transmission went out on her Nissan. He said it's close to 260,000 now.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Yes!

I'll freely admit that I'm cheap! I'll let friends borrow vehicles, but never give them one that still runs when I can use it!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007