2000 Taurus transmission issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 23:53   #1 (permalink)

2000 Taurus transmission issue

I've got a 2000 Tuarus SE with the 24 Valve engine...

Anytime I am traveling on either a straight and level surface or a very slight incline at exactly 1500 RPM (whether in overdrive or drive) the transmission starts slipping, or going in and out of gear, or trying to decide which gear to be in. There is a slight jerking. It won't do it upon acceleration or deceleration, but while maintaining speed.

Fluid changed out, fluid flushed...Electrical problem maybe? Transmission eating itself?

What's the deal?

Thankss guys!
BotleRocketWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: 2000 Taurus transmission issue

We had a bunch of problems like this with our company vehicles that were also 2000 Taurus. I honestly dont know what the problem was but I would have to say if you are going to change the tranny fluid get it flushed. It does cost more to have it done but it gives your tansmission a brand new life. It will also feel like you are driving a brand new car. I had it done to my 98 SHO and I could not believe the difference it made. You are supposed to have the tranny fluid flushed....not drained....but flushed every 60,000 miles. That also includes a new filter too. I would start there and see what that does. You could also have a bad coil pack and if you have soem high miles.....over 70,000 you might want to think about replacing those too. THese cars are said to be 100,000 mile tune up cars but let me tell you they arent!!!!!
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27   #3 (permalink)

It was flushed in hopes that the problem would be cured...

It's got 97,000 miles on it. We have a 97 Taurus with 205,000 and a perfect transmission, so we expect better. Even though it's a Ford...

Is the coil pack an expensive item?
BotleRocketWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 00:20   #4 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

The Coil Packs are usually around 100.00....unless you have coilover's. Bt that I mean there is one coil "pack" that plugs into each of your spark plugs. If you have coilover's then that can get pretty expensive.
Monroe, MI

Old 09-13-2004, 16:13   #5 (permalink)

"at exactly 1500 RPM (whether in overdrive or drive) the transmission starts slipping, or going in and out of gear, or trying to decide which gear to be in."

One possibility is that the transmission is "hunting", i.e. the sensors that control electronic shifting are reading that the load is right on the border between continuing in the present gear or downshifting, so the computer initiates a downshift, then decides to cancel it and remain in the present gear. I've encountered this in other vehicles, so it's not just a Ford problem. It seems to occur when driving at low rpms in vehicles in which the drivetrain programming is leaning more towards economy rather than performance. My only complaint about my 2000 SES with the Duratec engine has been that the shifts are "mushy" under partial throttle, almost feels like the transmission is slipping. Ford techs say that is by design; programming for sharp, crisp shifts would mean rapid downshifts under partial throttle, resulting in lower gas mileage. Several of the performance EPROM chip suppliers claim improved shifting as part of their performance enhancement.
fastnsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 23:06   #6 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnsmooth
"at exactly 1500 RPM (whether in overdrive or drive) the transmission starts slipping, or going in and out of gear, or trying to decide which gear to be in."

One possibility is that the transmission is "hunting", i.e. the sensors that control electronic shifting are reading that the load is right on the border between continuing in the present gear or downshifting, so the computer initiates a downshift, then decides to cancel it and remain in the present gear. I've encountered this in other vehicles, so it's not just a Ford problem. It seems to occur when driving at low rpms in vehicles in which the drivetrain programming is leaning more towards economy rather than performance. My only complaint about my 2000 SES with the Duratec engine has been that the shifts are "mushy" under partial throttle, almost feels like the transmission is slipping. Ford techs say that is by design; programming for sharp, crisp shifts would mean rapid downshifts under partial throttle, resulting in lower gas mileage. Several of the performance EPROM chip suppliers claim improved shifting as part of their performance enhancement.
Thats true now that I think about it. At 1500 rpms you are not going very fast and its almost like the "overdrive" gear is to low of an rpm so its trying to "decide" on what gear to be in. My 98 SHO does that at about 1500 rpms when I am going around 35-40 mph.
Monroe, MI

Old 09-15-2004, 23:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98shotoy
Thats true now that I think about it. At 1500 rpms you are not going very fast and its almost like the "overdrive" gear is to low of an rpm so its trying to "decide" on what gear to be in. My 98 SHO does that at about 1500 rpms when I am going around 35-40 mph.
I have the same problem with my vehicle. I am very upset at this problem I always have to let off the gas and apply it again to get the groaning noise to go away when it goes that far down in OD. Why can't over drive engage at 1900 rpms all the time. I notice when it engages at this RPM level its smoother operation. What ever the case is these transmission need a smoother operation period. I am also tired of the jerky transmission especially when coming to a stop and taking off you get a jult.
hawki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
Taurus Member

cool Re: 2000 Taurus transmission issue

Only the 2000 Taurus\sable had coil over plugs. If it was a spark problem there would be misfire codes
aford4you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:58   #9 (permalink)

I'm telling you it's the torque converter. I had the same problem with my Taurus. Most people don't even think it would come from the TC. The car shudders at low speeds, acceleration, and deceleration.
skyedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 00:57   #10 (permalink)
ljn

Anybody with a Ford Taurus (or any car for that matter) should sign up at www.Alldata.com and gain access to all of the technical service bulletins, repair procedures, schematics, etc. A worthwhile investment. You won't believe all the insider information you can get by doing this. There are all sorts of sensors on these cars that can affect the transmission and you can probably narrow the problem down quickly by using alldata.com
ljn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007