2000 Taurus vibrates & wears tires - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 12:03   #1 (permalink)

confused 2000 Taurus vibrates & wears tires

I have a 2000 Taurus SES. Approximately 1 year after I bought it used, the Firestone tires I had on it wore the inside of the tires to the cords. My wife rotated the tires on a regular basis. The mechanic (not dealer) said that it needed to be aligned. We had a "lifetime" alignment done and a new set of Tiger Paw radials put on it. About 1.5 years later, the inside of those tires had about 50% wear on the inside. Again, my wife had the tires rotated regularly. In the mean time, I had taken it to two or three different mechanics because I feel a slight vibration in the front end and by listening closely, I can hear a noise that is in sequence with the vibration. If you have a drink in the drink holder you can see the liquid vibrating. I had the tire balance checked. They said that it could be the rotors so I had a brake job done. They checked the front end and said that everything was tight. They rechecked the alignment (all three mechanics) and they have said that it is in alignment. They all said that they could not find any reason as to why the tires are wearing. They said that maybe the struts were bad so I had all of them replaced and the Uniroyal gave me a 55% credit on new tires. I had a new set put on the car. I still have a viration and there is "feathering" on the inside of my new tires. I still have the vibration. Everyone says that they know my tires are wearing but no one can tell me why. Nothing has changed even though I have spent a ton of money on various things.
HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigflag8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: 2000 Taurus vibrates & wears tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflag8r

I have a 2000 Taurus SES. Approximately 1 year after I bought it used, the Firestone tires I had on it wore the inside of the tires to the cords. My wife rotated the tires on a regular basis. The mechanic (not dealer) said that it needed to be aligned. We had a "lifetime" alignment done and a new set of Tiger Paw radials put on it. About 1.5 years later, the inside of those tires had about 50% wear on the inside. Again, my wife had the tires rotated regularly. In the mean time, I had taken it to two or three different mechanics because I feel a slight vibration in the front end and by listening closely, I can hear a noise that is in sequence with the vibration. If you have a drink in the drink holder you can see the liquid vibrating. I had the tire balance checked. They said that it could be the rotors so I had a brake job done. They checked the front end and said that everything was tight. They rechecked the alignment (all three mechanics) and they have said that it is in alignment. They all said that they could not find any reason as to why the tires are wearing. They said that maybe the struts were bad so I had all of them replaced and the Uniroyal gave me a 55% credit on new tires. I had a new set put on the car. I still have a viration and there is "feathering" on the inside of my new tires. I still have the vibration. Everyone says that they know my tires are wearing but no one can tell me why. Nothing has changed even though I have spent a ton of money on various things.
HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man....everything I was going to suggest you had done. The only other thing I can think of is maybe that you could possibly have some play in your upper ball joints. Although....the more work you have done to your car the more the wear goes away. Check and see if you have any play in your ball joints. Thats about the only other thing I can think of.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007