Ford Forums banner

2001 Ford Taurus fuel pump nightmare

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 Ford Taurus. The fuel pump stopped working and after checking voltage to and through the relay I had 12 volts. At the connector I have 6 volts, however. My guess was a bad ground so I cut the ground wire before the connector and connected it to a freshly made ground. After checking voltage again, I found that I still had only 6 volts.
I know I should've checked whether it was ground side resistance or power side, but I am guilty of quick assumptions when it comes to wiring. I'm dreading chasing the wiring through the entire body to find out what is causing the voltage drop, so I was wondering if anyone else out there might have any good ideas. The pump does run when I connect it straight to power so I know it's good. I'm worried my head is about to explode...

#2 ·
now that you have back feed your pump your computer could explode as well as your head if you did not isolate the pump by disconnecting all wiring. Does your scan tool show 12 volts leading away from the computer to the relay ? What is the amperage
on your 6 volt line to the pump ? You have no choice but follow back all wiring from
pump to relay. Don't just run another wire. That is NOT how to fix things.

#3 ·
Yeah, I realized that I didnt want to do that right after I wrote it. Desperation speakin. I found the problem. I pulled out the harness after hours of frustration and found the power wire had somehow gotten crimped between the cut-off switch in the trunk and the fuel pump. It produced just enough resistance to give me a 6 volt drop. I cut out that section of wire and spliced in some good wire. It all works perfectly now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.