2001 Ford Taurus fuel pump nightmare - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 17:07   #1 (permalink)

2001 Ford Taurus fuel pump nightmare

I've got a 2001 Ford Taurus. The fuel pump stopped working and after checking voltage to and through the relay I had 12 volts. At the connector I have 6 volts, however. My guess was a bad ground so I cut the ground wire before the connector and connected it to a freshly made ground. After checking voltage again, I found that I still had only 6 volts.
I know I should've checked whether it was ground side resistance or power side, but I am guilty of quick assumptions when it comes to wiring. I'm dreading chasing the wiring through the entire body to find out what is causing the voltage drop, so I was wondering if anyone else out there might have any good ideas. The pump does run when I connect it straight to power so I know it's good. I'm worried my head is about to explode...
machinegunray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 16:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2001 Ford Taurus fuel pump nightmare

now that you have back feed your pump your computer could explode as well as your head if you did not isolate the pump by disconnecting all wiring. Does your scan tool show 12 volts leading away from the computer to the relay ? What is the amperage
on your 6 volt line to the pump ? You have no choice but follow back all wiring from
pump to relay. Don't just run another wire. That is NOT how to fix things.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 14:44   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I realized that I didnt want to do that right after I wrote it. Desperation speakin. I found the problem. I pulled out the harness after hours of frustration and found the power wire had somehow gotten crimped between the cut-off switch in the trunk and the fuel pump. It produced just enough resistance to give me a 6 volt drop. I cut out that section of wire and spliced in some good wire. It all works perfectly now.
machinegunray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 15:19   #4 (permalink)

wonderful. That is what i like to hear. That is how it was as it left the factory. " not a
pinched wire that is ". Glad you got it back to factory. A proper fix. Proud of you.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 15:20   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007