2001 goes in R, stalls in Drive.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 08:16   #1 (permalink)

2001 goes in R, stalls in Drive....

My son said that his 2001 Taurus (DOHC) last night would stall when he put it in drive. He said the steering locked and the car shut off. No idiot lights were on. He said that if he went in Reverse it did not stall, after putting it in Reverse it would then operate when he put it to Drive (after reverse). If he went to Drive, without going in R first, is when it would shut down.

What could this be? Please help, this car has been a nightmare. We've had it almost 3 months, it has 85000 miles and the power steering rack leaks at the boots. I'm afraid of what else could be wrong and we are stuck repairing it to the point that we will have way overpaid for it.
whitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2001 goes in R, stalls in Drive....

sounds like the lockup converter solenoid is bad. Johnny Mullet, tbird or someone will be on soon that knows more about this sort of issue.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:58   #3 (permalink)

Is a lockup converter solenoid easy to diagnose and how expensive to fix? It acted up Tuesday night, but was fine all day yesterday (wed) and was ok this morning (thursday). WOuld that part act up intermittently as it goes bad? I want all the info I can get while I wait to get it into the shop. I am afraid of bad mechanics and rip off artisits. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44   #4 (permalink)

Did I mention that a friend used his code reader and there were no codes? Also, the problems occurred going from Park to Drive, not while he was actually moving.
Old 07-05-2007, 16:47   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2001 goes in R, stalls in Drive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
Sounds like the lockup converter solenoid is bad. Johnny Mullet, Tbird100636 or someone will be on soon that knows more about this sort of issue.
Could also be the torque converter itself, or a sensor issue, like the TRS sensor. How clean is the fluid???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 19:27   #6 (permalink)

Fluid is clean. WHat does all that stuff you mentioned mean?

Are any of these serious (expensive)? So far it only did it the one evening (Tues). It is now Thursday evening. Is this something that needs urgent checking, or can he drive it until it happens again, or for at least a week or so before getting to a shop? I assume this needs a tranny shop?
Would the things you mentioned leave a code? (there were none).

A friend checked the tran fluid last week and said it was fine. I had thought it low (bottom of hatched area) but that was after it had sat for 15 minutes, then restarted and checked. The friend checked it hot and said it was fine. COuld low fluid cause this type of problem.

I appreciate the guidance!
Old 07-05-2007, 20:09   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

drive the car around for 20 minutes or so and check the fluid while engine is idling and trans is in park. the fluid has to be checked while engine is running at normal operating temp. Also if u have to add fluid dont use the universal dextron/mercon fluid use only Mercon V as the other is not compatable.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24   #8 (permalink)

My son is the type of teenage who has little patience to hold conversations with his parents (unless there's something in it for him, or he has nothing else to do)

Anyhow, I asked him if he checked the fluid. He says it's "fine". I asked how long he was driving before he checked it and his answer was vague, but I did get the idea that it was at least 10 minutes. I don't think he felt like discussing details at this moment (he just walked in). He said it was where it should be (in the hatched area). I will assume, based on the fact that an adult checked it last week, that it is in fact fine. If it is low, it can't be by much, so I don't think that's what caused this problem.

It still hasn't done it again since Tues and now it's Friday. Should I leave it until it happens again? Could it be an engine problem and not even a shifting problem? I just don't know what to expect a trans shop to do or to charge if I bring it to them and tell them what it did. I guess I just want more ideas or info before I take it there.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 13:21   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

I would suspect the transmission range sensor AKA neutral safety switch.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007