Ford Forums banner

2001 Merc. Sable spark plug gap

17K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  chipb 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Mercury sable 24 valve dohc. When the car is running with the defroster or A.C. on the car seems to run rough. I can feel it skipping when it is in gear and not moving. When you are driving down the road with the defroster or ac on and accelerate as if you were going to pass another vechicle the car wants to die down at first but soon kicks in. I took the three plugs out at the front of the engine and the gap was different on all three plugs and notice like a brown ring at the bottom of the porcilin(not sure how to spell that) part of the plug. The part closest to the engine. What gap should the spark plugs be set at? What are the brown rings an indication of? Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Brown or tan on the tip near the electrode is normal, browning on the porcelin near the hex usually comes with age and mileage. I think kit's 0.052"-0.056" gap, it's on the Emissions control label. Plugs are only supposed to be in 100,000 miles. Any black lines on the porcelin where the plug wire slips on???

#3 ·
We just bought the car and the guy at the place we bought the car said that he just put new plugs in. I guess we know how that goes. Just saying he did for a fact put new plugs in should I see any brown above the hex on the porclain is that normal?

#4 ·
:avd::avd:

Hello and good day:

As "Tbird" said..."Brown or tan on the tip near the electrode is normal, browning on the porcelain near the hex usually comes with age and mileage"

It is my opinion that the person you bought the Vehicle from has lied to you about the "New Plugs".

Do you have a CEL..(check engine light) on??..This hesitation in your acceleration could be from a number of things.

From a Bad Fuel Filter to a VSS..(Vechicle Speed Sensor)...or a Clogged Air Filter to a Clogged Fuel Injector.

One more thing...You also could have a bad Coil Pack..causing a Misfire on one or more cylinders.

Good luck and good repairing.

#5 ·
Today I put all new plugs in and set the gap per what was under the hood saying what the gap should be. With the car idling in neutral it seems fine, but turn on the ac or def in netural it runs fine. Now put it in reverse or drive and hold the brake it wants to skip pretty bad. So would this fall under the problems you listed on your last reply. thanks

#7 ·
Did you do the plug wires as well??? This can cause that condition too. I did plugs on my 2001 Taurus SEL Duratec without the wires and ended up with a skip at idle with the A/C on. I did the wires and it was fixed. The plug wires usually have the year of production on them. If it's 2000-2001 then they're original, and it's time to change them. Make sure the coil pack isn't cracked. Take a spray bottle filled with water and spray the coil pack while it's running. Make sure it's sort of dark and watch for an electrical lights show. Replace as necessary.

#9 ·
I went and bought a actron cp9180 code reader and scanner. At first it threw a mis fire on the number one cyl. I did find a collapsed hose under the intake and replaced it. I was wandering if you would know how to tell me to read the diagnostic test results

#10 ·
ok now i am walking in circles now dont know what to do now. like i said the code was a misfire on the no.1 cyl. I did try the water mist on the coil pack it looked good. Now which fuel injector do I see if it is stopped up and how? this scanner I have seems to be telling me alot buy i cant make heads or tails any way i can find out. thanks again

#11 ·
You'd have to remove the upper intake so you can swap injectors and see if the misgire moves to the different cylinder. If the plug wires haven't been done yet I'd suggest you do them.

#12 ·
Looks like you will be throwing parts at your car untill you run out of money and still
not fix it. Send it out. Those engines are famous for leaking manifolds. there is nothing
wrong with your injectors. You have a reasonably good scan tool but you don't know
how to read it. Information over load. If i see 100 of those engines 80 will say misfire on
number one cylinder and there is nothing wrong with the plugs or wires. It's usually a
leaking manifold broken or plugged E.G.R. tube. Save yourself money and send it to a qualified service center. The money you just spent on your scanner was probably about half of the cost to have it professionaly fixed. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.