2001 Mercury Sable A/C nightmare - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03   #1 (permalink)
tombest44

confused 2001 Mercury Sable A/C nightmare

My car has full automatic temp control and worked fine for 8 years, but now has an intermittent cooling problem that no one can solve. For 14 months now and trips to four mechanics including 2 dealers, I continue to have the same problem. A/C works fine for 5-15 minutes, then the cooling cuts out, leaving the fan blowing warm air. I can shut the entire temp control system down for 15 minutes or so, then when I press the Auto button, the cooling starts again for another short cycle. Plenty of refrigerant; one mechanic replaced the temp sensor, then replaced the entire temp control module; same problem. One dealer replaced a very expensive coolant manifold saying it was leaking. Made no difference. Now I am out almost $1000 and have seen no improvement. Dealer says I need to replace the compressor, which would cost another $1000! I have lost all faith in that guy.

The system was not a problem in any other season, but in summer I just suffer. This seems to be an electronic problme to me; cooling works fine when it's working at all. HELP!
tombest44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2001 Mercury Sable A/C nightmare

One thing i just don't understand. Why didn't the dealer put the scanner on it ?
That would have told you everything needed to know. It'll say when and if the compressor shut down. If it's low on charge, High side pressure, back side pressure,
electrical draw, Ambiant temp when the system shut down, time of day, mileage, speed,
any electrical problems, and it goes on and on. It will tell you what to fix if the tech is any good. Maybe your dealers don't spend money on equipment and up grades or send their techs to school for on going training ? What does a scan test cost ? $80.00 ? Maybe less. Sounds like the people you unfortunately sent your car to can't handle the
technology in todays cars and your car is 9 years old. Sounds like your metering system
is freezing up and when you shut it off the ice thaws and system works fine until the
next freeze up.
chipset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2001 Mercury Sable A/C nightmare

Do the EATC self test the next time it happens and record the codes that are displayed. You may find something from this:

The Remote Climate Control (RCC) module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
The RCC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-38°C (40°-100°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperature is not within the specified range, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds . The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the integrated Control Panel (ICP) .

The test may run as long as 30 seconds . Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.
If any DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the RCC DTC INDEX. Carry out the diagnostic procedure given under ACTION TO TAKE for each DTC given. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Remote Climate Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index
If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the SYMPTOM CHART condition: The EATC System is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures

To exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, press the "-" (cooler) side of the TEMP button. The RCC module will exit the self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the front defrost button. All RCC module DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned off).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:00   #4 (permalink)

Was the problem ever identified and corrected. I have a 2001 sable that seems to be having the same problem as described above. We have had the sensor replaced with not improvement. It has been referred to another lincoln mercury dealership that is supposed to have a master mechanic specializing in air conditioning, they said it could be a compressor or some other part (I don't remember what that was). They wanted to keep it longer. I don't want to put thousands without having it fixed. I was hoping to find out if you ever had a resolution. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
kahalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Have you had it scanned as suggested by chipset in above post ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06   #6 (permalink)

Yes, according to the Master Mechanic at the dealership it has been scanned and they have not found anything wrong.
kahalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:39   #7 (permalink)

It doesn't work properly so how can they say they found nothing wrong.
chipset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58   #8 (permalink)

I have a 2001 Sable with a similar issue. My compressor went bad. The check engine light (engine symbol) came on. I checked it with a code reader and to my surprise, there were no engine failure codes. I did a manual inspection and found the compressor clutch was bad. I replaced the compressor + accumulator with the help of a friend (remember the oil). We pulled full vacuum and reloaded the freon. Once we restarted the system, we could only get hot air. Again, I ran a check of the system with a code reader and did not get ANY failure codes. Through this forum I found the EATC system self test. Once I ran the self test and reset the system, we had cold air. I am surprised the dealer you first visited did not know how to perform the EATC test. I think you would have a valid issue for a refund.
garyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007