2001 PO460 fault - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 16:03   #1 (permalink)

2001 PO460 fault

Anybody know how to fix a PO460 fault? The check engine lights keeps coming on. Keep pulling the battery cable off for couple minutes to reset but the light comes on in a couple days. Had the code read as a PO460; fuel level sensor circuit fault. Notice the fuel guage fluctuates sometimes. ???
gbford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 16:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2001 PO460 fault

Pulling the battery cable will NOT erase the code. That procedure is a thing of the past. Use a voltmeter to check the voltage readings with different fuel levels. Typical voltage is .9-2.45v with as goes from 25%-75% full. A high reading of 2.9v can be caused by a stuck gauge or open ground. If the reading doesn't change with fuel level, you either have a bad connection at the pump/fuel sending unit, or a bad sending unit in the tank.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Pulling the battery cable will clear the code. At least on cars up to MY 2000. This also clears out all the learned adaptive behavior such as idle speed and fuel trims.

P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction The PCM monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves outside the minimum or maximum allowable calibrated parameters for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.

Empty fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck open
Incorrectly installed fuel gauge
Damaged instrument cluster
CASE GND circuit open
FLI shorted to VPWR
Damaged PCM
Overfilled fuel tank
Fuel pump (FP) module stuck closed
Damaged fuel gauge
FLI circuit open
FLI circuit shorted to CASE GND or PWR GND
CSE GND shorted to VPWR
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Where do I check the voltage? This problem comes and goes. We had the car in for body work and they cleared the code and it has not happened in a week so far. Before that I would pull the cable for ten minutes and it would clear for a week or so. We also notice the guage reading incorrectly; always goes high and will gradually go back down to normal after 20-30 minutes. Again, this problem may not show up for a week or 2 and then happen again.
gbford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56   #5 (permalink)

Hi, I have a 2001 FocusLX with the 2.0 split port. I just got the same code of PO460 but the gas guage seems to be working fine. I have no symptoms other than the CEL being lit.

The Guy at Auto**** said I needed a Mass Airflow Sensor but since this seems to be a fuel LEVEL code I'm not so sure...

Ideas?
scubafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:53   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbford View Post
Anybody know how to fix a PO460 fault? The check engine lights keeps coming on. Keep pulling the battery cable off for couple minutes to reset but the light comes on in a couple days. Had the code read as a PO460; fuel level sensor circuit fault. Notice the fuel guage fluctuates sometimes. ???
I had same code, 01 Taurus Flex Fuel Vin code 2

It was my Flex Fuel Sensor located behind the radio and heater control assembly.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30   #7 (permalink)

jwko, I saw a suggestion on another Ford forum (I lost the site name) that said to try adding Chevron techron to try fixing the problem. For a week it did, but now the cel is back. Do you (or anyone) have any ideas? SHOZ123 posted a long list of possible problems. I really don't want to replace expensive parts at random hoping to fix things...

BTW, what would be the best part of this site I can ask about another problem?

Our focus's ride has become loud & buzzy, and the engine seems less torquey than it used to be.. Midas said we didn't need a new muffler. I replaced the shocks/struts, had the injectors cleaned and put in new platinum plugs.

It's so loud inside my wife refuses to drive it despite it getting 10mpg better than our van, so If you could suggest anything I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks!
scubafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:34   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Other than the obvious stuff from the list I posted you will need a voltmeter to check for power and shorts not replace parts.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007