2001 Taurus Fuel Pump Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
2bef

2001 Taurus Fuel Pump Problem

I have a 2001 Taurus (approx 130K mi) and my fuel pump is acting up. It does not consistently come on for the 2-3 seconds necessary when starting the engine. Most of the time when it's acting up, it will finally kick in if I keep turning the key off and on. This morning it never kicked in. When I got home tonight it still did not kick in and finally the battery started to run down. I hooked up my battery charger and after a few minutes I tried it again. The 2nd time I turned the key on, the pump kicked in and it started right up.

After a hundred or so attempts this morning and tonight with no success, the logical conclusion (well, logical for me anyway) is that the extra juice from the charger made the difference. Isn't 12 volts, 12 volts? If there were enough amps to keep turning the engine over I've got to believe there were enough amps to make the fuel pump kick in, right? I'm looking for some hints/suggestions. Even at auto zone the fuel pump assembly is $270. I'm broke and can't really afford spend that kind of money unless I'm really sure that will fix the problem. Is there a sure fire way to know the fuel pump is bad or going bad? Any assistance, thoughts, prayers, etc. is greatly appreciated.
2bef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 19:20   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Taurus Fuel Pump Problem

When it's not running, you could jump past the pump relay and see if the pump comes on. You can see where the wires connect for testing. If the pump doesn't come on with powering across the relay, my guess is that the pump is the problem.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f8036e090
Old 11-16-2010, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
2bef

Bert, thanks for the reply and for the idea to check the relay. I took it out and it has 5 prongs. I will snoop around online and see if I can figure out which of the 5 sockets need to be connected to "jump" the relay. I still have the charger connected to the battery. I tested the fuel pump and the first time I turned the key the fuel pump came on. I hope it works as well in the morning! Thanks again.
2bef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 16:00   #4 (permalink)

Bert. Got a call from another tech in the next town. 1992 intrepid. No heat. both hoses are hot, blend door moves and the fan is blowing good amount of air. water pump was replaced 3 weeks ago. Good heat up till now. Ever heard of that. He wants me to go on a 30 mile service call. NOT. Said i'd talk to him tomorrow. What do you think ? Dash is
apart. He says the blend door moves but i'm thinking not all the way or the shaft is broken. I'm going to have to go tomorrow if i can't fix it over the phone.
Thanks in advance. Oh yah. it does blow luke warm air. Anyone please chime in.

greg
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 16:03   #5 (permalink)

i just realized i stole a thread. Sorry about that. My mistake.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007

Related Reading: 2001 Taurus Fuel Pump Problem