2001 Taurus SE overheating 135K - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
2bef

2001 Taurus SE overheating 135K

About a month ago it started overheating. I replaced the thermostat but no relief. The fans kick in when the AC is on even when the engine is not warmed up (good!) and seem to run fine when the engine is hot enough for them to kick in, AC running or not. When the temperature "needle" almost pegs on the high end, the AC will shut down. So apparently whatever temperature sensor that shuts down the AC is also working fine.

The guy at Autozone was thinking that there may be some blockage in the radiator. I drained it last night and the antifreeze came out really clean. After the flush the same results - no sludge, rust, residue, metal shavings, nada, zip, zilch.

I haven't driven it yet but since everything came out so pristine I don't expect the flush solved anything related to overheating.

I saw some posts about impellers disintegrating on late 90's models. Any reports of similar issues on 2001 models? I can't see the weep hole but there does not appear to be any evidence of fluid loss below the water pump shaft.

I hate to replace the water pump on the "hope" that will solve the problem. That's a bunch of work and I'm sure the replacement pump won't be free.

Any suggestions, cures or advice is greatly appreciated.

2bef
Allen, TX
2bef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 23:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2001 Taurus SE overheating 135K

I had the same trouble with my 01 taurus last year. Mine only had 87K miles. I replaced the water pump thinking the impellers were shot. It turns out that they were not too bad. The car still overheated.

I also had a radiator flush which was no help.

The overheating stopped after I replaced the radiator.

Good luck.
bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:36   #3 (permalink)

While we're on the subject of the cooling system have you checked out the condition of your thermostat lately? A faulty thermostat could cause your engine's internal temperature to dramatically spike and thereby spur overheating. Replacing the radiator should help alleviate the situation a good amount, but don't forget to address your thermostat as well :)
BlueOvalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalMan View Post
While we're on the subject of the cooling system have you checked out the condition of your thermostat lately? A faulty thermostat could cause your engine's internal temperature to dramatically spike and thereby spur overheating. Replacing the radiator should help alleviate the situation a good amount, but don't forget to address your thermostat as well :)
User stated it was replaced with no change.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007