2001 Taurus w/P0300 error code - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 05:49   #1 (permalink)

2001 Taurus w/P0300 error code

I have a 2001 Taurus with the standard SOHC 3.0 engine. I had the famed egr sensor (P0402 error code) go bad last year.

When that happened, I had the local dealer do a diagnosis and they listed a ton of things that needed changing (110,000 miles). I changed the egr sensor, but ended up with a generic that didn't have the same voltage range and had to get one directly from the dealer. This fixed P0402.

However, in the process, I replaced the plugs, the wire and the idle air control valve. Now, the car idles poorly and sometimes stalls at idle - especially at redlights or when stopping going up a hill. If I let it idle for about 5 minutes or so, I will get a P0300 (random misfire) that disappears if I drive the car around. I switched all of the items back to the original ones and that didn't help, so I put the new items back in/on.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? Why would the idle start acting up all of a sudden after changing the plugs, wires, and idle air control valve and not work well when I put all of the old items back in?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have also replaced the mass air flow sensor.
texfrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2001 Taurus w/P0300 error code

Quote:
Originally Posted by texfrazer
I have a 2001 Taurus with the standard SOHC 3.0 engine. I had the famed egr sensor (P0402 error code) go bad last year.

When that happened, I had the local dealer do a diagnosis and they listed a ton of things that needed changing (110,000 miles). I changed the egr sensor, but ended up with a generic that didn't have the same voltage range and had to get one directly from the dealer. This fixed P0402.

However, in the process, I replaced the plugs, the wire and the idle air control valve. Now, the car idles poorly and sometimes stalls at idle - especially at redlights or when stopping going up a hill. If I let it idle for about 5 minutes or so, I will get a P0300 (random misfire) that disappears if I drive the car around. I switched all of the items back to the original ones and that didn't help, so I put the new items back in/on.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? Why would the idle start acting up all of a sudden after changing the plugs, wires, and idle air control valve and not work well when I put all of the old items back in?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have also replaced the mass air flow sensor.
Why did it need a IAC valve??? Sounds to me at the very least you have a dirty throttle body for the stalling stopping. For the P 0300, where you replaced the plugs and wires, the next thing to check is the fuel pressure. Too high a pressure will cause a misfire as well as to low a pressure. The next things after that is checking the cylinders for leakage with a leakdown tester. I fully detailed misfire diagnosis a while back on another post so dig around and you will find it.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2001 Taurus w/P0300 error code

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
Why did it need a IAC valve???
The dealer said that it was dirty and needed replacing.

I will find your previous post and work on those solutions.

As a note, what is really weird is that it seems to be getting slightly better over time. It has only stalled once in the past few days - but it is still a rough idle.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40   #4 (permalink)

Check the spark plug wiring. Make sure the plug wires did not get switched and are causing a misfire.
TheCOS2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:49   #5 (permalink)

I know from experience how hard it is to get to the back 3 cylinders along the firewall. In the process of replacing these parts you could have inadvertently damaged a wire or vacuum hose. Check the engine areas you worked in, leaned on, set things on, etc. Also try to correct the most easily reproducible problem. In this case it might be your rough idle. That may fix a number of other issues, or at least narrow down their cause.

Go to Ford CD/DVDs download your model year's ISO, burn to CD, install and see if you can find back-probe sensors voltages and resistances that might be a problem, including the ones you just replaced.

It may take a while to get to the bottom of this, so hang in there. Drive-ability problems, as the call them, such as this, are notoriously difficult to diagnose and solve.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the continued help! I am still working on the issue. I have re-checked all of the plug wires and they are all correct. Now I'm working on pulling the back row of spark plugs and re-checking them. I'll post when I have put all of this back together.

Thanks again - also working on downloading the appropriate manual as referenced by dac122.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007