Ford Forums banner

2001 Taurus will not start after 1 year idle

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  r-clar 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Been looking over the forum for help and thought I'd post a question regarding my 2001 Taurus which has been sitting idle for about 1 year. I recently installed the battery and tried to start her up but no go. I checked the fuse on the fuel pump and that is good. I have not yet checked the fuel relay but did check the fuel cut off switch in the trunk and that is not tripped. When I first turn the key to accessory I should hear the fuel pump prime right? Just 5 or 10 second prime before switching the ignition to start right? I am not hearing this. I am hearing a clicking which I'm guessing is the fuel pump relay but again I have not verified it. I'm just looking for a little direction in trouble shooting the sequence. Something to go step by step so I don't miss something important. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Kohl :driver:

#2 ·
Just an update, I did just test the actual relay outside of the car and with 12 volts it does switch and a continuity test across the switch terminals confirms the relay itself is working properly. I'll have to check the terminal block for switching voltages when it's not raining.

Kohl :driver:

#4 ·
I really wish there was an access to the electrical terminals of the fuel pump for quick and easy testing. My next step is to check for voltage at and through the inertia switch. Through some research I do not believe there is a fuel pump control module on 2001 Taurus. I'll have to check the trunk to verify if it does or does not have one. I got a feeling the fuel pump has bit the big one. :driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.