2002 Mercury Sable OHV, low oil pressure, misfires with some solutions. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:01   #1 (permalink)

2002 Mercury Sable OHV, low oil pressure, misfires with some solutions.

Hello,

Bought a 2002 Sable with Vulcan OHV engine at the end of November. Car had 126500 +/- miles on it at the time. In October my 1994 3.0L Sable suffered a collision and was not worth fixing. Seems that when you hit someone at 35MPH when they turn left in front of you, the car does not like it. The 94 Sable died at 96240 miles after a oil pan seal repair and oil change. 15 miles down the road it ran into a 2009 Honda SUV. Amazingly the Sable was still running, but as you can see, it would need a bit of work to get it fixed. Everyone is Ok. Wife walked away and daughter was transported to the hospital in her car seat to be checked out. 16 years after manufacture, the car kept the occupants safe and deployed both air bags.

The 2002 Sable 20 miles down the road, after purchase, the heater stopped working. Heater core had clogged up and needed flushed out. Easy fix.

Next day wife complained car was running a bit rough. I checked the oil level and air filter. Oil level was at the add mark and air filter was very dirty and at one time a mouse was living in the air box. I added more oil, put in a new air filter with no change in idle and roughness. The car did have a miss in it when we bought it. Was told that it had new plugs, new coolant, oil change (all a bunch of bull and I should have known this).

Cleaned the MAF sensor with no change.

I ended up getting the following DTCs:
P0304
P0305
P0306
P0300
P0316
P0175
P0174
Code for misfire during first 200 rotations came up several times when my wife was driving the car. Cleared these codes to see if they would come back and they did within just a few drive cycles.

Oil low pressure light started flickering at idle after reaching operating temperature. Ended up running some seafoam through the crankcase and doing an oil change. It has been about 1100 miles and the low oil pressure light as come back on. I did a manual pressure check before changing the oil and it would not go above 35PSI at 2500RPM. I also changed the oil pressure sending unit. I have not checked it since the oil change. Engine sounds fine other than a constant misfire.

Checked the plugs and found they had been gapped at .060 and not .042. Seems the plugs had been gapped for DOHC and not a OHV engine. Gapping to .042 took care of the misfire first 200 rotations, P0305, P0306, P0174 and P0175 codes. Still had code P0316 and P0304. Old plugs NGK TR55s. New plugs Autolite AP104.

Checked the coil and it tested good. Checked resistance on spark plug wires and the shortest wire had a 2500+/- ohm reading. All other wires tested with low resistance. Testing a new set of wires, shortest wire was 6000 ohms. All new wires as of yesterday. Cleared the codes and still get P0316 and P0304 codes.

During each of my tests I would reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Still no changes as far as P0316 and P0304.

I used my UltraGauge scan tool to check the status of the O2 sensors and Long Term Fuel Trims.

Bank 1 O2 1 = .105 to .755
Bank 2 O2 1 = .360 to .860 (This bank has misfire on #4).

Bank 1 O2 2 = .805 to .830 (slow response appears normal)
Bank 2 O2 2 = .080 to .565 (fluctuating every second. This bank has the misfire on #4).

Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 = -3.1
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 = -8.6

Not sure if this matters, but when in park and at 2500RPM LTFT goes to 0.00 on both banks.

Yesterday I did a check of the fuel injectors (hoping I didn't have a bad cylinder).

#4 injector disconnected, no noticeable change in engine speed or misfire (roughness).
#5 injector disconnected, engine idle speed changed, engine stumbled and more rough.
#6 injector disconnected, engine idle speed changed, engine stumbled and more rough.

Listened to the injectors using a long screwdriver to hear them. #4 sounded dull compaired to #5 and #6.

Today I removed the injectors from Bank 2.
#4 is a ford fuel injector. Has a 4 port nozzle.
#5 and #6 are a Chrysler fuel injector made my siemens and have a single hole in the nozzle.

Swapped #4 with #5 and comfirmed misfire is now in #5 cylinder and not #4. Now have codes P0316 and P0305.

Why would a Chrysler fuel injector be in a Mercury Sable? Four of the injectors appear to be Ford (Red/Brown tip) and the other two are the Chrysler (Blue tip).

I am hoping that a replacement injector will rememdy the problem. However, I do not know if the misfire is due to the flow rate differences between the Ford and Chrysler injectors or if the Chrysler injectors are acceptable to use and the Ford injector is faulty. All the nozzles look clean to the naked eye but can actually be dirty inside. I did run two tanks of fuel injector cleaner thought the tank prior to this with no change in misfire.
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 08:14   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2002 Mercury Sable OHV, low oil pressure, misfires with some solutions.

Very good information. That helps a lot. Have you checked the other 3 to see what brand they are? The flow rates usually don't cause a missfire but not knowing which ones they are, it would be hard to tell. You'd have to know what they came from and not by the numbers on them without some special guides. I wouldn't trust having the improper injectors in any of the positions. Have you tried a different coil? They are known to crack and cause misfires.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33   #3 (permalink)

Coil has been checked. Resistance is within specifications. No cracks seen when coil was removed for inspection. The coil on the car now has not identification marks that I can see. I am going to guess it is an aftermarket.

Misfire does follow the injector form cylinder 4 when it is moved to cylinder 5. The color of the rear 3 injectors (Bank 1) are all the same color and have not shown any misfire codes.

Here are some photos of the injectors showing part numbers:

The Ford Injector is on the cylinder that is misfiring. The misfire moves when I move the injector to another cylinder.

Last edited by nickh; 12-19-2010 at 14:04. Reason: Added Photos
Old 12-19-2010, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2002 Mercury Sable OHV, low oil pressure, misfires with some solutions.

You state when you swap the Injector to another cylinder the misfire moves to that cylinder. You obviously have a bad injector. It would not be an injector driver because the misfire would not swap cylinders when swapping the injectors.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 21:04   #5 (permalink)

I check on the flow of the two different injectors.

The ford injector is 17.14 lb/hr.
The chrysler is 22.5 lb/hr.

Will the different flow rates cause a misfire?
Old 12-23-2010, 17:57   #6 (permalink)

I ordered some new injectors. Will post results.
Old 12-25-2010, 16:37   #7 (permalink)

Before you buy new ones, check out these guys. They can sell you a complete set of rebuilt ones for about $150. They do a super job at rebuilding them.

/www.lindertech.com
Old 12-27-2010, 16:30   #8 (permalink)

I got three new Ford injectors for just under $60 total. Hoping to get them in tonight.

Got them installed. Rough idle appears to be gone.

Did a 10 minute test drive.

At idle:

Lngtr1 = -6.2 to -7.0
Lngtr2 = 4.69 to 5.47

Srttr1 = -9 to 6.25
Srttr2 = -3.1 to .78

Bank 1 downstream O2 sensor is fluctuating quickly from .135 to .815. May have mixed up the 02 sensor data in my first post. (actually, I think I did).

Engine feels better both driving and the misfires I could feel holding my hand on the intake is no longer there. Also the only trouble codes appeared after first startup of engine after injectors installed. P0300 and P0316. Cleared those codes and they did not return after testing.

Now I just need to work on the bank 1 O2 sensor issue.
Old 12-27-2010, 19:14   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Great to hear. Glad you've got thet fixed.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007