2002 Taurus luging and jerking under load - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 16:31   #1 (permalink)

2002 Taurus luging and jerking under load

Im new to this forum. I looked at several pages of posts but didnt see a problem like mine.

I have a 2002 Tuarus SE that anytime the rpm's go above 3000 the car lugs and jerks really bad. It tends to do it less when the engine is still cold. Of course when Im on the highway and I go uphill the the rpm's have to shoot up to maintain speed. It is extremely aggravating

It does not trip any error codes or Check engine lights. When I add fuel injection cleaner to every fill up it, it stops the lugging and jerking. As soon as I stop adding the cleaner, it comes right back. I took it into the shop today and they "think" its a transmission issue and I should get a fluid flush and a new fuel filter.
I dont see how it would be a transmission issue since the fuel additive makes it better. And I had a tune up done about 20,000 miles ago. Would think the filter is still ok but I dont know. Before I drop a bunch of money on stuff I was hoping to get some input here. I was thinking more along the lines of injectors?
I am not completely mechanically declined, I have an old truck I dont mind working on, but this pos taurus I could not be bothered lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jboston701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 17:40   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2002 Taurus luging and jerking under load

Has the fuel filter been changed? Since it gets better with the cleaner, I doubt if the trans is the problem. The trans should be serviced if it hasn't been. It could also be the MAF sensor. There's a cleaner made to clean them. They can pick up dirt and cause running problems.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 18:43   #3 (permalink)

The fuel filter was changed when the tune up was done. The trans probably should be serviced and I will service it soon, but im more focused on fixing the lugging. What is involved in cleaning the MAF sensor?
Old 09-24-2009, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Just remove the hose to the air cleanre and spray the cleaner on the area inside the MAF. It would be a good idea to clean the throttle body and IAC (Idle air control) too. Do you have a Haynes or Chilton manual? They help a lot.
Old 09-24-2009, 21:54   #5 (permalink)

hmm, ok. Is the MAF easy to get to? I havnt looked under the hood to much. No I dont have either of those books. Is there anything else it could be? Id like to explore all options.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:39   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's the best way to start. The MAF is easy to get to.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05   #7 (permalink)

If you haven't had a tune up in 20,000 miles and the fuel filter has 20,000 miles on it
that is your first major problem. When was your last oil, filter change ? I personally think
your engine is suffering from serious neglect. Just my opinion. I have 94 - 95 - 96 Tauruses. They get a fuel filter change every 6 months regardless of mileage. Oil and filter apporx. every 3 months, Plugs once a year. My cars average 38 M.P.G. and 500,000 miles. The bodies fall off before there is any engine trouble. I live 60 miles from the nearest city and on the hwy. 3 - 4 times a week. I cannot have a break down. And i
don't. ( so far ). Spending a few dollars a month beats the hell out of a $300.00 tow job.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If you haven't had a tune up in 20,000 miles and the fuel filter has 20,000 miles on it
that is your first major problem. When was your last oil, filter change ? I personally think
your engine is suffering from serious neglect. Just my opinion. I have 94 - 95 - 96 Tauruses. They get a fuel filter change every 6 months regardless of mileage. Oil and filter apporx. every 3 months, Plugs once a year. My cars average 38 M.P.G. and 500,000 miles. The bodies fall off before there is any engine trouble. I live 60 miles from the nearest city and on the hwy. 3 - 4 times a week. I cannot have a break down. And i
don't. ( so far ). Spending a few dollars a month beats the hell out of a $300.00 tow job.
Chipset is right. I didn't pay attention to the miles you posted. The fuel filter should be the first thing to change. I've seen them almost plugged with 15,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2009, 13:56   #9 (permalink)

does this only happen at about 3,000 rpm ??? around 65 to 75 mph ???
Old 09-25-2009, 14:11   #10 (permalink)

also can you tell us what type of Engine this Is ???

Two engine choices: Vulcan 3.0-liter OHV V-6 with 155 h.p and more powerful Duratec 3.0-liter DOHC V-6 with 200 h.p.
While the built quality is not the best, the 2000-06 Taurus doesn't have that many problems compared to the previous generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007