2003 Ford Taurus AC Compressor seized. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 14:48   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford Taurus AC Compressor seized.

Hello there! Forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about, because I really don't.

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus DOHC that has experienced the A/C compressor seizing. I was wondering if there was ANY way to bypass the compressor altogether for right now until I can afford to replace it? I am pregnant (due in a few weeks) and my budget does not support a repair like that at this point. I have been having so much trouble trying to find out if I can even do this but I was told that the DOHC would hinder me bypassing it.

Please, PLEASE help me. I am at a loss on what to do.
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 16:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2003 Ford Taurus AC Compressor seized.

no offence but what does your pregnacy have to do with your problem ? Find the money to fix it. You can unplug the compressor but you will get an engine code. It will stay on untill you fix the original problem. Meanwhile it if detects a serious engine code you will
not know the difference. The check engine light will still be on and not change. Your compressor seized because the oil leaked out. The leak has to be found. The only time the compressor doesn't run is in the " heat " mode. If the compressor is seized no problem. Unplug it. If the bearing seized, problem. I feel for you. Do what you need to do. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:22   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
no offence but what does your pregnacy have to do with your problem ? Find the money to fix it. You can unplug the compressor but you will get an engine code. It will stay on untill you fix the original problem. Meanwhile it if detects a serious engine code you will
not know the difference. The check engine light will still be on and not change. Your compressor seized because the oil leaked out. The leak has to be found. The only time the compressor doesn't run is in the " heat " mode. If the compressor is seized no problem. Unplug it. If the bearing seized, problem. I feel for you. Do what you need to do. Good luck.
My pregnancy doesn't have anything to do with my vehicle problem, but it does have everything to do with my financial issues. I was only trying to shine a light on why it was not in the cards to replace the compressor right now.

Anyhow, thanks for the response.
Old 12-05-2012, 16:34   #4 (permalink)

Dorman makes a bypass pulley

Dorman HELP AC Bypass Pulley 34166 by Dorman

Uses the same belt. Just bolt it in place of the A/C compressor and reinstall the belt.

Some people don't like the plastic pulley, but there's not stress on the pulley at that point. It just acts as an idler.
rdsolkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:47   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsolkey View Post
Dorman makes a bypass pulley

Dorman HELP AC Bypass Pulley 34166 by Dorman

Uses the same belt. Just bolt it in place of the A/C compressor and reinstall the belt.

Some people don't like the plastic pulley, but there's not stress on the pulley at that point. It just acts as an idler.
I looked up that part and that is definitely a better fit for my budget right now!

I really appreciate your response and help. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 15:33   #6 (permalink)

If the ac pulley still turns, just unplug it,, will work for quick fix, untill u can fix
gaforddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 16:08   #7 (permalink)

You will Still get a " check engine light. " Is the bearing seized or just the compressor ?As i said if it is only the compressor just unplug it. You don't need any bypass pulley crap. Save your money. If the bearing seized you will have to spend money. Either fix it or have the bypass installed. The bearing is $45.00. 1.3 hours to install it. Have you had
anyone look at this ? Do you actually know what is wrong ? Again no offense on my
last post. Your going to spend money to either fix this or put a bandaid on it. If your into suggestions i'd fix the original problem. If you want your AC to work in the future
when you have money, you will have spent money on the bypass, then you will have to pay to have it removed and pay to have the A.C. fixed. Fix the AC now, if you can and you only pay once. Does that sound OK to you ? Congratulations on your pregnacy.
Maybe you will have a christmas baby ? All the best. good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007