Ford Forums banner

2003 ford taurus blower motor malfunction

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  erica 
G
#1 ·
I have a 2003 ford taurus wagon with 42,000 miles on it andf the blower motor for the heater and air conditioner quit running and there is excess water laying on the passenger side floor. I understand this is a service bulletin alert from August 2004. In my 37 years of driving and owning a vehicle I have never ever had to worry about replacing a blower motor because of waht appears to be a poorly designed system that allows water to destroy the blower motor. A rain cap needs to be installed!!!!!!! By the way this is my third Taurus and might be my last.

#6 ·
The Taurus is commonly known for a wiper cowl sealing issue! Look at the black, plastic wiper cowl on the passenger side. If there is a gap between it and the glass, then water is getting into the blower motor and the resistor.

Replace the cowl (part updated by Ford) and replace the blower and resistor.

#7 ·
Don't forget to check the A/C drain host. On some models the A/C is always on, even when heat is on, and there is a drain host to drain off the water that condenses. On my '97 Taurus GL the drain is on the passenger side.

When do you get water:
1. When it rains or you go through a puddle? or
2. When the HVAC (heating or cooling) system is on?

Answer yes to 1. means you have a bad seal on door, windshield

Answer yes to 2. means your drain isn't working.

#10 ·
The water problem happens when it rains. The heat/AC is generally kept right in the middle between the blue and red, and on low air. (when we had low) We will check the cowling and the AC drain. Plus I am going to check with the Ford dealer who fixed it the first time and see if they will back their repair since it seems to be a defect in the mfg. It has been a decent car other than those little quirks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.