2003 Ford Taurus trouble starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford Taurus trouble starting

Hi- My 2003 Taurus SES, with 103k miles, intermittently turns over but won't start unless I pump the gas pedal. This only happens when the car has been off for more than a few hours. It had a tune-up at 90k and I've tried fuel system cleaners. Anyone have a idea what could cause these starting issues?
Magickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 18:48   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2003 Ford Taurus trouble starting

Autozone will pull codes for free. The light doesn't have to be on for a code to be present. Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF too.
Old 01-31-2012, 22:25   #3 (permalink)

Didn't know that about Autozone. Thanks
Magickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51   #4 (permalink)
canuck

If you're certain the electrical system (primarily battery and alternator) is good, then I would suggest getting a fuel pressure test done. I had starting problems for nearly a week when the car would start, idle at 400rpm for a few seconds and shut off. Other days it ran good but on occasion would bog on the highway. On occasion too, I had to crank the engine and try to force fuel in by pressing on the accelerator.

New pump OEM Ford $820 Canadian with labour. I looked into aftermarket pumps and for $120 more, the Ford unit comes with a full two year warranty and if the car lasts me another 13 years, I'll have gotten my monies worth.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 18:03   #5 (permalink)

If memory serves, pressing the accelerator on a fuel injected car simply opens the butterfly on the throttle body and does not add extra fuel. This would lead me to believe that it may be running a bit rich which would be a fuel pressure problem.
It's a theory anyway.
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56   #6 (permalink)

Pressing the accelerator to the floor and holding it there puts the computer into "flood mode." That opens the throttle plate and stops the flow of gas. BUT, pressing the accelerator part way DOES add gas. That's usually the sign of a bad coolant temp sensor or a dirty MAF sensor.

I'd start by cleaning the MAF (since it's easy and cheap). See link below. Then I'd replace the engine coolant temp sensor. A bud sensor tells the computer that the engine is warmer than it really is. So the computer provides too-lean of a mixture. So when you pump the pedal, you're goosing the gas and that's why it starts.

Clean a MAF sensor
Old 02-12-2012, 20:55   #7 (permalink)

As I said, I guess it was a theory...and only about half right, as usual.
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007