2005 Ford Taurus Transmission ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 00:38   #1 (permalink)

Question 2005 Ford Taurus Transmission ?

I have a 2005 ford taurus that won't engage in any gear but park. Was told i need a new transmission. Could it be anything else? Already replaced filter and fluid and saw no metal shavings. No warning signs of any problems until it wouldn't go. Also, will a trans from a 92 taurus be compatible if trans needs replaced?
andrea davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Ford Taurus Transmission ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea davis View Post
I have a 2005 ford taurus that won't engage in any gear but park. Was told i need a new transmission. Could it be anything else? Already replaced filter and fluid and saw no metal shavings. No warning signs of any problems until it wouldn't go. Also, will a trans from a 92 taurus be compatible if trans needs replaced?

Hello and good day to you Andrea:

Just because the shift does not engage into R,D, etc does not mean you need a new Transmission.

First I would get a Second or Third opinion on this.... Also I do not believe a 92 Taurus Tranny would be compatible.

Transmission replacement depends on several factors Engine Size, Engine Type, Year make model of Taurus.

There Are a few guys here that are very well versed in this (Jwko, Tbird, 360ci,Shoz, TheFonz, and others)

I would lean more toward the Shift Linkage. This is in the Steering Column of the Steering Wheel.

Andrea, some Mechanics will take advantage of Ladies coming into a shop, and are not well versed in Auto Repair.

So My advise would go to a trusted Shop (call Friends, Family, Co-workers,etc) and get those other opinions.
Old 06-28-2009, 19:03   #3 (permalink)
canuck

A '92 to a '05 won't mate up correctly, as the chassis are different, along with the mounting points, bellhousing, etc.

As S6 mentioned above, the shift linkage is the most probable culprit. I haven't checked on my own Taurus, but you should be able to adjust it along side the transmission, under the vehicle. A repair manual will help if you plan to do it yourself, and get/hire a friend for a couple hours.

If you're one who likes to throw the gear selector into gear while the vehicle is still moving, ie, backing out of a driveway still rolling when you move the selector from R to D, then as mentioned, you more than likely have a linkage problem. If the linkage is the culprit, be sure to monitor your own driving habits to make sure you don't strain the transmission, in any way, more than necessary to get the longest life out of the unit.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27   #4 (permalink)

The 92 transmission will not even fit the 93 or the 91. They are one year only.
93 - 94 - 95 are the same and then they changed again.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007