2005 Taurus - Both Cats Shot? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06   #1 (permalink)

2005 Taurus - Both Cats Shot?

A few weeks ago I posted about a problem with my wife's 2005 Taurus.

According to the tech, one of 2 catalytic converters got plugged up, causing excess heat build-up in the exhaust manifold which burnt pinholes in the manifold cover. I was given both parts and there indeed holes in the manifold and pieces fell out the cat. The tech said that there was no indicator light telling us that the cat was bad because of the position of the sensors. The cost of the repair was about $1000.

Now, 3 weeks later, the Service Engine light has come on and we took it back to the shop. The tech said that the other cat is bad but it won't impact the performance as this particular cat is just for emissions. He said that it's going to be around a $1000 to replace this cat because of the Y pipe, etc. He suggested that unless I had an extra grand lying around, I might as well just wait to replace the cat to sort of "get over the injury of the other $1000 job."

According to him, other than the pollution issue, the only impact of this cat being bad is that it won't pass inspection.

Your thoughts on this issue would be welcome.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to a decent diagram of the exhuast system showing both cats on a 2005 Taurus? My Google searches haven't turned up what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
DrerbyDad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2005 Taurus - Both Cats Shot?

Have you checked with a muffler shop? All cats are for emissions.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Taurus - Both Cats Shot?

Before you start spending money on your problem you might want to find out why you
are " murdering " your cats. Cats. don't die or normally plug up or wear out. They will will
last a mighty long time, almost forever. I have 9 assorted Tauruses in my yard starting with my first 1986. My wife has a 96 and is driven 120 Kl. twice a week for 5 years plus 5days of city driving. It has 487,301 kl. on it all original cats. some of the heat shields rotted off but the cats are fine. Why are yours going bad ? I'd suggest a 4 gas analyzer at your next tune up. You do have your car serviced don't you ? If your engine is using oil or burning it or you are using the wrong oil that will wipe out a cat real fast.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007