2005 Taurus Gas Mileage Fuel Economy - Page 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 21:55   #11 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Taurus Gas Mileage Fuel Economy

One thing you missed - have the delaer flash the engine computer and download the latest update. I do this every time my dealer tells me there is a new update, and I average - no kidding - 24 city and 29.5 highway.
bobward737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 06:23   #12 (permalink)

Bobward, is this as simple as asking them to re-flash the ECM? I have an oilchange coming up and I will ask them to do it.

What year is your Taurus, and what do they charge to do this?
ehaiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaiss View Post
Update: I got 23.6MPG on my last tank of gas. So that is an improvement over the 20.9 I saw previously. The car is running really well.
If you're getting your number the car that might be a problem. For me, the car suggests that I get 25-26 when I am actually getting 30+ MPG.

Also, how are you driving? That will probably make a bigger impact than anything else.
stands2reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07   #14 (permalink)

Hi. I am having the same problem. We recently acquired a 2005 Taurus SE Sedan, automatic. First thing i did was take it to the mechanic for a top to bottom inspection.

Brakes were worked on, all new tires, tune up, new fuel filter, air filter, elecrical, and more.

The car runs great and has a lot of power.

My primary issue is that I too, am getting terrible mileage (MPG). I've tracked 2 tanks of gas now and what i'm finding is that my TRUE MPG does match what the display tells me i'm averaging.

I'm averaging 11.2 - 11.9 MPG/City. I do not know about hightway for the car was on the highway only 1 time, during each tank.

My old 95 Corolla, which this car is replacing, on a BAD WEEK got 21 mpg and on a good week 24..

I read here that some were suggesting updating the onboard computer with the lastest software/firmware.

I don't know if this has ever been done to the car. I also don't know how "new" the new update would be. Meaning, is Ford even doing software updates on 2005 vehicles anymore?

I did call my local dealer to ask their thoughts and unfortunately the gentleman in the service department said he had no clue, just that 11.9 is not right.

I asked if flashing the computer would help, and his reply was, "Well, we charge $xxx/hr so you can try it if you want."

Really? That's it?

I told him all the work that was done to the car and said my mechanic is now out of ideas short of randomly replacing parts/sensors/other, "just to see".

My car has only 77,000 miles.

I have 3 other things going on with this car, one of which may be related. Maybe? Thoughts???

One thing which happened from day one is, if you get into a cold car and turn the ignition key immediatly all the way to start the car, sometimes it will not start on the first try. What has worked, 100% of the time is turning the key 1/2 way, waiting 5 seconds for all the guages to come alive, and then turning the key the rest of the way and starting the car.

Some have suggested that the fuel pump needs to "pressurize" and that's why giving that 5 second delay works, but my mechanic checked it out and says it's functioning correctly. So he recommended changing the fuel filter and doing one of those engine clean out system flushes where they put the stuff in, run the car, etc. None of it helped.

Where this becomes an issue is that i just had remote start added and it can not be programmed to give a 5 second delay prior to turning over the engine.

Since the "thought" is that this is related to gas... and i'm getting horrible MPG... could these things somehow be related? I think it's a stretch for the only thing in common, that i'm aware of... is both a related to gas, in some way.

Any thoughts on this????

The other 2 things which are strange are below. I"m hoping it's ok to post here, in this thread vs. creating a new ones. IF not, let me know and i'll pull it out.

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, when you open the driver door and then close it, it bounces right back open. It's not "latching". You can try closing the door 20 more times and every time, it bounces right open. If i touch the latch on the side of the door the door will now close (usually) and latch. This is random and happens maybe once a month. So, it's random and horribly frustrating when it happens.

Lastly, when parking the car and actually putting it into PARK, the car lunches forward a few inches. It happens nearly every time and i don't know why. It's kinda dangerous, i think.

Any thoughts on these things too?

I do like the car. It's a much smoother ride than my old Corolla and it has lots of power which i like. The MPG though is totally unacceptable considering gas is going to go to $4/gallon, if not $5. This car has another 8 good years left, maybe 10 the way I drive.

Thanks again for allowing me to post here. I know the last post on this thread was 3 years ago, so i'm hoping it's still active.

Terster
terster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 13:30   #15 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by terster View Post
Hi. I am having the same problem. We recently acquired a 2005 Taurus SE Sedan, automatic. First thing i did was take it to the mechanic for a top to bottom inspection.

Brakes were worked on, all new tires, tune up, new fuel filter, air filter, elecrical, and more.

The car runs great and has a lot of power.

My primary issue is that I too, am getting terrible mileage (MPG). I've tracked 2 tanks of gas now and what i'm finding is that my TRUE MPG does match what the display tells me i'm averaging.

I'm averaging 11.2 - 11.9 MPG/City. I do not know about hightway for the car was on the highway only 1 time, during each tank.

My old 95 Corolla, which this car is replacing, on a BAD WEEK got 21 mpg and on a good week 24..

I read here that some were suggesting updating the onboard computer with the lastest software/firmware.

I don't know if this has ever been done to the car. I also don't know how "new" the new update would be. Meaning, is Ford even doing software updates on 2005 vehicles anymore?

I did call my local dealer to ask their thoughts and unfortunately the gentleman in the service department said he had no clue, just that 11.9 is not right.

I asked if flashing the computer would help, and his reply was, "Well, we charge $xxx/hr so you can try it if you want."

Really? That's it?

I told him all the work that was done to the car and said my mechanic is now out of ideas short of randomly replacing parts/sensors/other, "just to see".

My car has only 77,000 miles.

I have 3 other things going on with this car, one of which may be related. Maybe? Thoughts???

One thing which happened from day one is, if you get into a cold car and turn the ignition key immediatly all the way to start the car, sometimes it will not start on the first try. What has worked, 100% of the time is turning the key 1/2 way, waiting 5 seconds for all the guages to come alive, and then turning the key the rest of the way and starting the car.

Some have suggested that the fuel pump needs to "pressurize" and that's why giving that 5 second delay works, but my mechanic checked it out and says it's functioning correctly. So he recommended changing the fuel filter and doing one of those engine clean out system flushes where they put the stuff in, run the car, etc. None of it helped.

Where this becomes an issue is that i just had remote start added and it can not be programmed to give a 5 second delay prior to turning over the engine.

Since the "thought" is that this is related to gas... and i'm getting horrible MPG... could these things somehow be related? I think it's a stretch for the only thing in common, that i'm aware of... is both a related to gas, in some way.

Any thoughts on this????

The other 2 things which are strange are below. I"m hoping it's ok to post here, in this thread vs. creating a new ones. IF not, let me know and i'll pull it out.

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, when you open the driver door and then close it, it bounces right back open. It's not "latching". You can try closing the door 20 more times and every time, it bounces right open. If i touch the latch on the side of the door the door will now close (usually) and latch. This is random and happens maybe once a month. So, it's random and horribly frustrating when it happens.

Lastly, when parking the car and actually putting it into PARK, the car lunches forward a few inches. It happens nearly every time and i don't know why. It's kinda dangerous, i think.

Any thoughts on these things too?

I do like the car. It's a much smoother ride than my old Corolla and it has lots of power which i like. The MPG though is totally unacceptable considering gas is going to go to $4/gallon, if not $5. This car has another 8 good years left, maybe 10 the way I drive.

Thanks again for allowing me to post here. I know the last post on this thread was 3 years ago, so i'm hoping it's still active.

Terster
Corolla has power? Wow!

Anyway.

Be cautious with mileage. If you weigh 400lbs, it's no wonder why your mileage sucks. No offense, but if you were 150lbs, you'll get better mileage....

Now, you mention you had a tune up done, new tires, and so on. Aggressively treaded tires can reduce fuel economy as well, but not so much in the city.

The winter weather no doubt drops mileage some as well. Winter blended fuels contain slightly higher amounts of ethanol than during the summer. The higher the ethanol content, the greater the fuel use.

In winter, I get 14-16mpg with my '99 Taurus. I don't let it warm up long, a few minutes for the engine rpm to drop some before I get underway. If you let your car idle for prolonged periods, it really does eat into the overall mileage you will get.

In terms of the drivers door, you might be best to remove the inside panel, and grease what parts you can. I know with my older Dodge, some parts in my tailgate rust over if not oiled thus the latch remains closed when I try to close the hatch and it bounces back open. I haven't damaged the latch, but if the latch is closed when you attempt to close the door, you can cause more harm than good. If you are unsure, once you open the door, get in, and unlock the door before you close it. If doing that helps, then grease away! Also make sure that the lock on the door, and the pin on the B pillar of the car that goes into the door lock are aligned properly. DO NOT use the doors as a leverage point to get in/out of the car! - ANY car!

In terms of the transmission lurching. This can be caused a few ways. The more common one is a misaligned TV cable. The cable goes from the shifter to the side of the transmission and allows you to change gears. If there is play the park pawl might not be catching as it should, thus is why the vehicle is lurching. Also, when you change gears from moving to PARK, be sure the car is 110% stopped as it adds strain to the transmission. It's a mistake I remind my mother of to this day. I suppose some things cannot be taught to some people...

$5/gal gas is nothing to worry yourself with. My durango gets 9mpg here in the cold months and regular unleaded is nearly $6/gal equivalent for a US gallon, in US dollars here in Ontario Canada.

If you really wanted to go all out. A few things you can do to the car in terms of increasing mileage, is to remove any items that are in the car that you never use. Extra weight drains fuel economy, as I mentioned above. In a V6 sedan for every 100lbs you remove, you'll gain about 1mpg.

Also, if you have the 4V engine (200hp Duratec), that engine thrives more on the highway as it's peak torque is higher in the rpm band. The 145hp Vulcan engine (2V) has a much lower torque peak, which aids in city mileage. However, the Vulcan cannot best the Duratec on the highway in either mileage or overall performance. This is one of the reasons that made the Taurus a great car. You can have it in two totally different flavours.

It won't hurt to go to a Ford dealer and have them search your VIN for any technical service bulletin updates, such as a computer flash, and unperformed warranty work, etc.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 14:59   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Be cautious with mileage. If you weigh 400lbs, it's no wonder why your mileage sucks. No offense, but if you were 150lbs, you'll get better mileage....
So if someone is overweight they'll be a noticeable decrease in fuel mileage? That much of a decrease? cough cough**bullshit**cough.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 21:31   #17 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
So if someone is overweight they'll be a noticeable decrease in fuel mileage? That much of a decrease? cough cough**bullshit**cough.
Sorry. I forgot increased tire wear and poorer weight distribution. I used to be close to 300lbs, lost nearly 100lbs over a couple years and as I maintain records of fuel, maintenance and mileage with all my vehicles. I can attest to the fact that better mileage is true. Now, this was with a 2.5L 3 speed auto Dodge Spirit with a curb weight around 1.5ton and still handled better than I ever could at that weight.

Think of it this way. If you take two identically spec'd vehicles, similar mileage and maintenance intervals. Tell me that the car with a driver that weighs significantly less won't get the better mileage!? It will.

As a test, Throw 100-150lbs of junk in the trunk for a few months and see how that fairs. I did a test several years ago on my 10mpg Durango, and as it's a heavy brute and no, I did not buy it for good mileage, still gets 12mpg whether it has 200lbs, or 1500lbs of wood/salt/steel scrap in the back.

Smaller, lighter cars, even my own Taurus, when on road trips with my brother (200lbs or so; with one suitcase of 20-30lbs) I noticed a slight increase in pure highway mileage to Nashville TN and back than if I were to go alone. The weather and speed were similar for both trips and the route was the exact same, with perhaps an additional lane change now and again. I went from 7.6L/100km to 8.1L/100km with the added weight.

My 2V 3.0L thrives at lower speeds that it is accustomed to here in Ontario. Not the 70-75mph on US roads so the engine is in the 2500-2600rpm range rather than the 2200-2300rpm range. Again, both routes used were the same and speed limits were not exceeded by more than 5mph.

However, a difference is a difference and with my '99, it has the smaller (2-3gal less than the 00'+ generation) fuel tank, so I do notice the decrease in usable driving range when taking along passengers and luggage.

Even to the airport in Toronto (about 55 miles one way), with me taking one relative to and from I achieved a trip average of 10.4L/100km. Three relatives with luggage in slightly cooler weather dropped the average to 11.7L/100km. The first trip took longer, at 1H12M.

I just realized how scary it is that I keep such detailed records. I need more hobbies.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 03-26-2011, 23:20   #18 (permalink)

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not 400lbs. In addition, other than a small toolbox for emergencies, i have nothing there either. The car is essentially empty.

Any more thoughts on flashing the computer?

Any thoughts on whether Ford is still making/updating firmware/software for the auto computers?

Any other mechanical, thoughts, on what might be a factor?

I did account for the winter blends of fuel and with them, i should still be closer to 15 or 16mpg on the low end.

As i mentioned, even my 16 yr old Corolla gets 21mpg in a bad week. THe 2005 Taurus should get at least that as it's a full 10 years newer.

As for the engine... i have no idea. V6, 3.0L.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2011, 15:14   #19 (permalink)
canuck

I forgot to add that the fuel economy readout on the dash is not 100% accurate. The computer doesn't take into account tire wear, overall diameter, weight in the vehicle or very cold starts. It's close in most cases. From the tanks I've seen in my Durango, my overhead said I averaged 18.2mpg, when in fact when hand calculated (I allow the fuel pump to click off twice) it's closer to 19mpg. When driving off the beaten path, on trails, etc, it does the opposite. The computer will tell me I've achieved a whopping 6mpg, when in fact it's below 5mpg.

You cannot compare the mileage of a Corolla with your Taurus, regardless what year it is. The number that matters here is the power to weight ratio. Smaller cars generally get better mileage due to less weight, and less power (smaller engine) to move that weight around.

Ford doesn't throw software away like Sony does. Yes, Sony. Long story. Anyway, if there are updates to your Taurus the dealer can advise you when you stop in and give them your VIN.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 04-30-2011, 22:42   #20 (permalink)

HI. I'm curious to know if there is any further advise for increasing the extremely poor MPG that i'm receiving.

A quick recap:

Flashed computer with most current software at my local Ford dealer.
Changed Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor
Changed Fuel Filter
Changed Air Filter
Brake job
New Mass Air Flow sensor
4 New Tires
Tune Up
Oil Change
Belts checked
New high performance battery
Alternator checked
Suspension checked

I'm still averaging abourt 13 - 14 MPG city, and 19, if i'm lucky, on the HWY.

I know that this is still way below what it should be.

When at my Ford dealer, nothing came up on the scanner when they flashed the onboard computer. No codes, no errors, no warnings, etc.

At $4.10/gal, soon to be $5.00 and even more... i can't afford only 14mpg.

I hate to dump the car considering it's paid for, and then some since there's remote start, new radio, new speakers, etc... but still...

And i can't believe that my local Ford dealer/service center... they have no idea what's going on. They suggested the MAF sensor... and that was a bust. It did nothing.

Please help, if there is any more help to be had. I know this is a very tricky one especially in light that there are no codes!

Thanks again!

Terster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007