2006 Taurus intermittent hard start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 23:34   #1 (permalink)
sixshooter

2006 Taurus intermittent hard start

2006 Taurus 3.0 auto. Intermittent means 'not always' in this case. It used to start like an X-Wing fighter. Have recently experienced engine cranks but won't start using remote. Now, it sometimes does the same using the key. It has always started within three times of trying and hasn't left the little woman hitch hiking yet. After reading forums I assumed possibly IAC motor because of a fluctuating idle speed and cleaned that up. No change to the start problem but the idle smoothed out. I have been reading about fuel pressure dropping and causing this symptom and it was suggested that I try the fuel rail release valve in the morning to see if there is residual pressure. Can't seem to find a fuel vave, or really, can't recognize it if it's there. I was an auto mechanic in the 1960's and 70's but I'm not to literate with this new OBD stuff and the sensors that go with it. Due to being retired and suffering from lack of funds, I'm sorta looking for a mentor who can push me in the right direction as to trouble shooting this thing. The ford dealer here is a thief and charges 100 per hour but never cures the peoblems. 34,200 miles on the car or 55,000 kms. Seems to me a fuel pump should last longer than that. I'm wondering if the Ford has a system built in to read the codes by using the key on,off,etc.? Anyone feeling the urge to help, feel free to indulge.
Mike
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 07:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2006 Taurus intermittent hard start

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
2006 Taurus 3.0 auto. Intermittent means 'not always' in this case. It used to start like an X-Wing fighter. Have recently experienced engine cranks but won't start using remote. Now, it sometimes does the same using the key. It has always started within three times of trying and hasn't left the little woman hitch hiking yet. After reading forums I assumed possibly IAC motor because of a fluctuating idle speed and cleaned that up. No change to the start problem but the idle smoothed out. I have been reading about fuel pressure dropping and causing this symptom and it was suggested that I try the fuel rail release valve in the morning to see if there is residual pressure. Can't seem to find a fuel vave, or really, can't recognize it if it's there. I was an auto mechanic in the 1960's and 70's but I'm not to literate with this new OBD stuff and the sensors that go with it. Due to being retired and suffering from lack of funds, I'm sorta looking for a mentor who can push me in the right direction as to trouble shooting this thing. The ford dealer here is a thief and charges 100 per hour but never cures the peoblems. 34,200 miles on the car or 55,000 kms. Seems to me a fuel pump should last longer than that. I'm wondering if the Ford has a system built in to read the codes by using the key on,off,etc.? Anyone feeling the urge to help, feel free to indulge.
Mike

Hello and good day:

Have you tried to put some Fuel Injector cleaner thru the system? I would clean the IAC, and the MAS tho, to see if this may reslove the issue.

There are are a lot of guys here that can help! And Mentor you thru this issue.

Have you gotten a CEL, to see if you can Pull a OBDII Code?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:49   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Every time you first turn the key to run, the pump should run for a few seconds. If you hear it and it won't start, see if you get spark. Try spraying a short shot of carb cleaner in the throttle body and see if it starts. Call a few parts stores to see if they'll pull codes for free. Autozone in the U.S. does and a few other stores.
Old 11-20-2010, 22:52   #4 (permalink)
sixshooter

Thanks guys. I can get a friend to come over and pull the codes (I think) My other problem would be that I don't know what all these 'Capital letters' (Things like IAC, MAS, etc.) parts are or what they actually do so I spend a lot of time reading. I usually forget what half of them are by the time I get to the garage. I'm making a list for myself but sure wish I would have kept up with the changes and technology.
Old 11-20-2010, 23:43   #5 (permalink)
sixshooter

Any one know why they have to confuse everything with different letters for the same item? Like MAS and MAF or ECM and PCM. Damn, that's confusing---I'm looking them up and spending a lot of time,only to find out they are the same thing. Another thing I find is different opinions on cleaning. The ford dealer here uses CRC carb cleaner for the MAF and some guys swear that's a no-no and a cleaner specific for the MAF should be used. Is my dealer stupid as well as a thief?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:05   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There is a special cleaner for the MAF or you can use an electical contact cleaner. Don't use carb cleaner on the MAF. Carb cleaner can be use on the IAC.
Old 11-21-2010, 15:15   #7 (permalink)

Why are you saying your dealer is a thief ? Because they charge $100.00 per hour ?
Our dealers charge $150.00 per hour. Some $175.00 per hour. Does your dealer know you and you are a problem ? I've been a dealer tech for 40 years and worked for the big 3 in that time. If we can't find a problem and the customer complains constantly the factory reps are there in a week. If it is a simple problem some poor tech is out of a job. You have 34,200 miles and your car is 4 years old. It's still under the 5 year drivability warranty. If your dealer cannot and will not fix this they lose their credability and standing. No dealer wants that. There is something wrong here. Something you missed telling us ? You will not see fuel pressure in the rail the next morning, that is why there is a one second " prime " every time you start the vehicle. When was the fuel filter changed ? If you can't answer that question it's been too long. Do you have a duratec or vulcon engine ? You don't say. You have an OBD2 system. You don't read the codes by watching the light flash. You need a code reader. The engine should start within the
FIRST time. Key or remote start. Read, Read, till your eyes bleed. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 20:30   #8 (permalink)
sixshooter

The engine always started on the first revolution of the crank before. Fuel filter changed (by Ford) 50,307 km 11/10/09. (50,000 km service). At that time they told me the only warranty left was power train. Customer reps probably come up here never. About the theif thing: My dealer doesn't know me because I am not a problem. Two of their mechanics know who I am because I told them what I thought of their skills. The Shop foreman is a good friend of mine and I used to work with him at Toyota. Our Ford dealership was recently sold to our GM dealer. In the past I have had 1996 Sable,1995 Windstar,1998 F150 4X4 and have taken them all to that dealer. Every time I complained of a problem under warranty, I was told they could not find a problem related to the complaint. I took it to a friend of mine and he repaired it for a price. Twice I have taken a vehicle to ford and they have phoned and said it was done. I picked it up to find I still had the problem before I left the lot. I was told they would need it for 3 more hours to trouble shoot; I declined and the mechanic offered me 1000 dollars for it. Now, what would that tell you? My wife picked one up there under the same circumstances and the problem was still there. Both time they had phoned and said the vehicle was ready and both times we paid the bill first and they would not refund. I took this Taurus in the last time because I had some concerns and needed the 50,000 check done. They couldn't find anything wrong with my idle (big surprise) but sfter I cleaned the IAC it worked fine. The deviant manner they use to get my money makes me call them a crook. I have been in the service industry for a long time and what this dealer does, is criminal. I have worked for Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, AMC/Jeep as a mechanic. I have never witnessed problems similar to what I have with this dealer. Everyone I know driving a Ford here will not take their car to that shop.No, I don't consider 100/hr a problem providing you get the service for it. I charge 60/hr for what I do but I repair the problems my customers want me to.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like that dealer should have his doors locked. It's sad because that dealer is
giving all the good dealers a bad name. There is always one in a bunch. Sometime two or
three. I think you did find a crook. They won't be in buisness long. I hope.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 14:39   #10 (permalink)
sixshooter

Chipset: What do you suggest I but for a code reader. I've been told to get one that will read air bag and abs as well as clear codes. Don't really know what to look for. I found one at Pricess Auto that claims to do all that for 249.00 Is that a decent price?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007