2007 Taurus w/new fan belt squealing worse than ever - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33   #1 (permalink)

Question 2007 Taurus w/new fan belt squealing worse than ever

I'm hoping that I can find some help here. I'm driving a 2007 Taurus (57593 miles; 3.0L V6 engine) that I am considering buying from a friend. His wife drove it for about a year w/o any problems other than having the fan belt (serpentine belt?) replace about 9 weeks ago because the vehicle developed a squeal under the hood after she went ripping through a big puddle. The dealer mechanic said that water had got up into the engine and fouled the belt. He replaced the belt (car's under warranty) and told them to spritz the belt with silicone should it start squealing again during the "settling in" period.

I've been driving this car for roughly one month, and the squeal is maddening. It's a chirp when the car idles, and then it escalates into a painful (to the ears), constant high-pitched squeal as the RPMs increase. This happens whether or not the AC or fan is on, and since the latest bout of rainy weather has totally defied applications of silicone. I had my regular mechanic glance at it, and he is *not* a fan of putting silicone on the belt. (Neither am I, frankly.) Because it's under warranty, he suggested taking it back to the dealership and making them replace the belt if that is the problem, and if not, then going over the engine to find the problem. I think there is someting more wrong with this car than just the belt. The first application of silicone stopped the squeal for about 3 days. Now it does nothing. I am going insane from this squeal.

Can anyone offer suggestions? I would like to be armed with some intelligent questions for the dealership mechanic, and I don't speak "automotive" if the topic goes beyond changing oil, filters and thermostats (all of which I can do).

Thanks in advance
ACNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 13:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2007 Taurus w/new fan belt squealing worse than ever

If the car is under warranty, I think it should go back to the dealer. As far as putting silicon on the belt, There's no reason for "settling in".The belt should not make any noise and not need any spray. We've had noises with new belts if they were anything but Goodyear or OEM. There could also be a pulley or accessory with a bad bearing.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for responding. I also questioned the "settling in" thing that the dealer mechanic talked about, and thought it was bunk. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow to have the engine given a thorough going over and replace the belt, at the very least.
ACNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:26   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACNC View Post
Thank you for responding. I also questioned the "settling in" thing that the dealer mechanic talked about, and thought it was bunk. The car is going back to the dealership tomorrow to have the engine given a thorough going over and replace the belt, at the very least.

Hello and good day:

I have never heard of a "Settling In" for a Super tine belt!!! I would lean more towards the Tension Pulley!! There is some type of Belt Spray you can buy at your local Auto Store, but I would not recommend it.

Are you sure it is the Belt making the Squeaking noise?? Not a Steering Pump, or something else??
Old 10-06-2009, 15:30   #5 (permalink)

replace the belt tensioner

the tension, or tightness of the belt so to speak, is what keeps it from squeeling

a good tensioner, a good belt and everything should be queit

there is however one other part of the equation, although not normally a problem with the Taurus line-up

have you had any other components of the system replaced recently? Like an altenator or water pump? if one of those is wrong and the pulley is not ligned up with all the other, this can cause squeeling problems and problems with the belt falling off......

I'd put on a Gates brand belt, and a new tensioner if it were my car......
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29   #6 (permalink)

I had tjhe same problem on my 2001 Taurus 3.0L Flex fuel. I reinstalled the original belt after I had 2 aftermarket belts squeel.
jmd445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:50   #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the idler pulley. Replaced it,
squeal gone.
hades02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 13:14   #8 (permalink)

I too had the same problem on my 95 sable last year and my tech changed the bearing on the Tension Pulley,been quiet ever since.Cheap repair too.
DrGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2007 Taurus w/new fan belt squealing worse than ever

I'm surprised no one mentioned this but a chirp could be from the Cam. Sensor Synchronizer assy. Yes, it is towards the back of the engine away from the belts, but it could be a coincidental failure.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 13:38   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
I'm surprised noone mentioned this but a chirp could be from the Cam. sensor synchronizer assy. Yes, it is towards the bacl of the engine away from the belts, but it could be a coincidental failure.
yep yep, been there done that. When the synchronizer assembly develops the old familiar chirp, it's very difficult to determine where the noise if coming from.

Remove the serpentine belt, start the engine to see if the noise is still present, if it is see this post 2003 Ford Taurus
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007