24V DOHC Duratec Alternator change. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49   #1 (permalink)

24V DOHC Duratec Alternator change.

My 2000 Taurus Wagon appears to need an alternator change. It looks rather difficult. Anyone do one? Thanks.
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 12:41   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: 24V DOHC Duratec Alternator change.

Seems I need to do it at least once a year on my V8 SHO which has it in the same place. Difficult is a good description.

I lower that side of the subframe to give me extra clearance but some don't.

Basically you pop the tie rod end loose and take the sway bar link off the strut and take the brake line hold down loose at the top. Then go at it. :)
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39   #3 (permalink)

I just put a voltmeter on the battery and it's at 12.2V. I started the car and the volts drop to 6 volts in a matter of seconds and the car dies. Bad battery? Shorted harness? Voltage Regulator or Alternator? Seems too fast a drop to be the alternator. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:45   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

If the alternator was working the voltage would rise above the 12.2V. Ideally at 1500 rpm and after just tstarting the car the voltage would be the highest as the battery is being recharged and system voltage would have to be higher than the normal ~14.2V to do this.

Either you have a completely dead alternator, blown MEGA fuse where the alternator output wire is connected or loose/corroded wires on the small plug going into the alternator.
Old 09-20-2007, 15:16   #5 (permalink)

Thanks,I'll check the wiring. The shop time for an alternator replacement is 3 hours which means 5 for me.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123
If the alternator was working the voltage would rise above the 12.2V. Ideally at 1500 rpm and after just tstarting the car the voltage would be the highest as the battery is being recharged and system voltage would have to be higher than the normal ~14.2V to do this.

Either you have a completely dead alternator, blown MEGA fuse where the alternator output wire is connected or loose/corroded wires on the small plug going into the alternator.
I'm just now getting to it. How do you check the MEGA fuse? Is it just checking continuity from the alternator connection to the battery connection? I'm gonna jump it and see if the alternator output is 14V but the wife took off with the cables,GRRRRRRR!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Check the mega fuse like any other. An ohm meter will do the job. Or you could check continuity like you suggest.

One thing I have seen in large fuses though is a continuity check will work OK but when a load is placed on it the fuse will open.

I have also seen corrosion at the MEGA fuse post that stop the alternator from working. This would not show up with a continuity test.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06   #8 (permalink)

Never mind,I took it off and ohmed it out-good. The Alternator output is 11V and steady but the battery drops to 6V. Both?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

If the alternator is not charging then the battery will discharge. If this has been going on for a while or if the battery is old then probably both.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04   #10 (permalink)

What do you think of 11v at the Alternator output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007