88 Taurus Cranks But Won't Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 15:58   #1 (permalink)

88 Taurus Cranks But Won't Start

'88 Taurus, 3.0L, 117,000 miles. New ignition module, distributor cap and rotor, coil, ignition pickup, timing chain and sprockets, distributor drive gear, fuel pump. Recently passed emissions easily. Ran well for about 400 miles and then started to crank but not start. At this time I did the cap and rotor. After I replaced the vacuum hose from the pcv valve to purge solenoid the car started and ran fine for a week or so. Cranked and wouldn't start for a number of days. Took the dielectric grease off the rotor and it started. Ran fine for about another week then stalled while I was driving downtown and would crank but wouldn't start. After 3 days of trying to get it going I had it towed home. It's starting now but I don't know why. Key On Engine Off test was always ok, though after the stall the saved codes indicated an interruption in the PIP, which I've read always appears when an engine stalls. Key On Engine Running may have shown the MAP sensor "not at normal vacuum levels", though I'm not sure I did the test properly. Could the MAP sensor cause this type of long interval intermittent no start condition? Presently I'm afraid to pull out of the driveway. Any ideas?
FITFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Taco_90

Re: 88 Taurus Cranks But Won't Start

Sounds more like an ignition module or PIP sensor to me even though you've replaced both. Did you try doing a wiggle test on the wiring and looking for a faulty wire in a plug? This would give you the intermittent problems you're describing. I know it's a pain but ...well...you've already replaced everything else.
Old 08-14-2006, 16:05   #3 (permalink)

Re: 88 Taurus Cranks But Won't Start

Taco,
Thanks for your reply. Because of your advice I focused on the distributor pickup. Over the weekend I put the original one back in. It's starting now, and eventhough I've had it running for longer periods I'm pretty confident that the new unit I had installed was the problem. Time will tell.
Thanks again.
FITFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007