Ford Forums banner

88 taurus fuel pump

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bigshowb 
#1 ·
I'm wonder how much work is it to replace the fuel pump in my taurus. I'm pretty sure that's my problem as it had been loud right before ignition since I bought the car and one day the car sputtered and I stopped and it has never started. I supposed it could be the relay and I will test that before I do anything, but with the fuel pump in the gas tank (WHY DO THEY DO THAT) I have no idea how much work it would take.

Do car makers make their cars harder to work on just to keep sales up or what? Fuel pump in the gas tank why not mount it to the frame. Heater core inside the dash UG if your gonna make a part super hard to service then it should be made to last. I guarantee my heater core is made of the thinnest metal they could get by with. How much extra would it really cost to make the heater core a few milimeters thicker and therefore guarantee it to last over the lifetime of the car.

#2 ·
have some one stand by the fill tube with the gas cap off when you turn the ignition to the on position if the fuel pump is running they will here it. Try the intergrated control unit. The fuel pump isn't to bad if your gas tank is empty but if not you have to drain it. The hardest part is getting enough room to work under the car and holding the tank up with one hand and starting the bolts to the tank mounts with the other while praying you don't drop the ratchet into that little spot you just can't quite reach with the hand that your starting the bolt with? GOODLUCK! I'm pretty green when it comes to car repair but I got through it so you probably can too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.