91' Taurus Starting Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 13:49   #1 (permalink)

91' Taurus Starting Problem

Greetings,
When I started my 1991 Taurus, I felt the engine is not running smoothly and some noises similar to broken belts.
So I immediately switched off the engine, but to my surprise the starter kept on spinning and cranking the engine.
If I put the ignition switch back to the ON position, the engine starts immediately but the starter remains engaged.
If I put the ignition switch back to the off position of even pull the key out, the starter keeps cranking the engine.
I had to remove the -ve battery terminal to stop it.

Any advice !!

regards,

OldFox
OldFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 17:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: 91' Taurus Starting Problem

sir it's the starter solinoid the one that goes on your car is diode isolated you have a regular sol. the new one comes with paper that ststes diode isolated use. the purpose is to allow voltage one way only when you turn key to start the one you have on now is letting voltage go through after you turn key back. if that is not what it is i don't know.
ps by the way is that a 2 or 4 barrel cleveland have a nice day. ron:
blasterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 00:59   #3 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

A 91' clevo, does that meet emission requirements ?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:21   #4 (permalink)

Hi OldFox, just posted in thw wrong section mate, so I'll move it for you. This forum section is just for Cleveland V8 engines

A '91 Taurus has a 3.0 litre V6 Yamaha engine , well the SHO sports version anyway.....they do come with 4 bangers too. I uses to have one when I lived in the US. P**** O* S***!! Something always needed fixing.

Yep, dodgey starter motor solenoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007