'93 Mercury Sable stereo replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 10:21   #1 (permalink)

'93 Mercury Sable stereo replacement

I'm trying to replace the stock casette stereo by a GPS DIN head unit.

Since I can't get the radio out with the removal tools, no matter what I do (the mechanism is stuck or broken on one side) I was going to remove the surrounding plastic panel.

Now I don't get further than those 2 screws on the top of the panel. The ashtray assembly underneath appears to be riveted to it, and I can't see any other screws involved. How do I proceed?

Also I would need to know where I can find the vss and reverse wires.

Thanks!
LifeOnMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 18:12   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: '93 Mercury Sable stereo replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnMars View Post
I'm trying to replace the stock casette stereo by a GPS DIN head unit.

Since I can't get the radio out with the removal tools, no matter what I do (the mechanism is stuck or broken on one side) I was going to remove the surrounding plastic panel.

Now I don't get further than those 2 screws on the top of the panel. The ashtray assembly underneath appears to be riveted to it, and I can't see any other screws involved. How do I proceed?

Also I would need to know where I can find the vss and reverse wires.

Thanks!
You have to insert the tools until the stop, then push them outwards and pull out the radio. Try removing the coin/cupholder assy. with the radio tools, then with someone reaching through the cupholder opening pulling on the back of the radio while using the removal tools.

The reverse lights are feed from the Manual Lever Position Sensor, the Black/Pink wire. You can either tap into the wire at the sensor (underhood, on top of trans.) or run a wire to one of the reverse lights in the trunk. The VSS is on the trans., it is an AC signal generator, uses 2 wires.

tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 14:05   #3 (permalink)

Re: '93 Mercury Sable stereo replacement

I was the hooks too, the ones I used seemed to be too thin. After I got a more solid pair from Autozone, it worked!

As to the wires, I was actually hoping to be able to access them anywhere near the dash, and not to go all the way to the trans or the reverse lights.
So has the automatic shifter not connection to the reverse signal? What color does the wire have that goes to the speedometer?

When I removed the stock stereo today I noticed a 3rd connector with one light blue/red wire, what is that for? I was going to use Metra adapter 70-1770 but that one serves only the 2 main connectors.
Old 08-24-2010, 14:27   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You can search here for wiring diagrams. | Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Old 08-24-2010, 18:06   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
When I removed the stock stereo today I noticed a 3rd connector with one light blue/red wire, what is that for? I was going to use Metra adapter 70-1770 but that one serves only the 2 main connectors.
That is instrument illumination.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 20:56   #6 (permalink)

tbird100636 and Bert: thanks again for all of the info. After having looked under the hood today, I guess I recognized the black/pink wire in the white connector on top of the trans that should be #55 at the PCM in the wiring diagram (Fig. 35)
Did I locate the vss correctly in the 2nd pic, it sits above the left drive shaft and has 2 wires. Very hard to reach though from above, so I couldn't check the wire colors yet. Acc. to the diagram the signal should be orange/yellow (green/white at the PCM).

However, I still find it quite inconvenient to tap into the wires at those locations, especially the vss. How about the PCM, where is this one located?

Oh does anybody happen to know what the unplugged connector is used for that lies on the trans cover? Diagnostics? I couldn't find a mating plug. Haven't checked the wire colors against the diagram though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4276.JPG (84.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4282.JPG (55.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 21:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
That is instrument illumination.
Thanks, I forgot about the redundant dash control buttons!
Old 08-27-2010, 22:14   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: '93 Mercury Sable stereo replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnMars View Post
tbird100636 and Bert: thanks again for all of the info. After having looked under the hood today, I guess I recognized the black/pink wire in the white connector on top of the trans that should be #55 at the PCM in the wiring diagram (Fig. 35)
Did I locate the vss correctly in the 2nd pic, it sits above the left drive shaft and has 2 wires. Very hard to reach though from above, so I couldn't check the wire colors yet. Acc. to the diagram the signal should be orange/yellow (green/white at the PCM).

However, I still find it quite inconvenient to tap into the wires at those locations, especially the vss. How about the PCM, where is this one located?

Oh does anybody happen to know what the unplugged connector is used for that lies on the trans cover? Diagnostics? I couldn't find a mating plug. Haven't checked the wire colors against the diagram though.
You have the wrong connectors. First picture circles the Neutral switch connector, second is the Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor. The VSS is over by the right axle.

tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 21:05   #9 (permalink)

wow, looks I messed on that one real good.. Anyway, I thought I'd just go ahead and start taking the dash on the driver side apart until I can find any orange/yellow wire (for the vss, according to it's wiring diagram it should be all over the place) and the reverse signal. Does the attached diagram refer to the shift lever at the steering column?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93-1.jpg (109.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-28-2010, 21:36   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That diagram refers to the switch on the transmission. As per the first picture that tbird100636 posted.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007