93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28   #1 (permalink)

93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims?

Hi there, I took the hub caps off the other day, turns out none of them was attached to the rims with more than 1-2 (of 5) screws and those little brackets that sit in the rims for the screws to go into.
Now dealerships have discontinued screws and brackets, where should I start looking? Is there there any aftermarket solution out for this design, I could think of some plastic inserts instead of the brackets. Screws are actually pretty much standard tapping design. I don't feel like replacing the flawless original caps with cheap aftermarket substitutes. Thank you guys....
LifeOnMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnMars View Post
Hi there, I took the hub caps off the other day, turns out none of them was attached to the rims with more than 1-2 (of 5) screws and those little brackets that sit in the rims for the screws to go into.
Now dealerships have discontinued screws and brackets, where should I start looking? Is there there any aftermarket solution out for this design, I could think of some plastic inserts instead of the brackets. Screws are actually pretty much standard tapping design. I don't feel like replacing the flawless original caps with cheap aftermarket substitutes. Thank you guys....
Salvage yard would be the best bet. I can't remember what the Sable wheel covers looked like. Most had aluminium wheels. Can you post a few pictures of the wheel covers???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 14:16   #3 (permalink)

Re: 93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims?

Thanks...that is some fancy design. The little sqareish holes hold the brackets of which most are gone. The screws are covered by the center cap. Looking at this again right now, maybe the brackets are close to some standard design. Will check with my local Ace Hardware next chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110213-00116.jpg (87.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20110213-00117.jpg (64.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-18-2011, 21:27   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims?

I think I have a solution to this. The remaining clip is metal. The empty holes are square. Use a nylon (plastic) square nut in place of the original metal nut clips. It a smaller version of a licence plate nut. Even if it doesn't fit tight it will once you install a screw in it for the wheel cover. Check out Auveco's site, look through their PDF catalog, and find a distributor near you. They have the largest selection of Automotive fasteners around, they often are the OEM supplier for these fasteners. You may even find the exact nuts if you take the time to look at the 702 page pdf catalog.

Auveco Products - Automotive, Industrial and Specialty Fasteners

http://www.auveco.com/download/catal...co_catalog.pdf
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 22:33   #5 (permalink)

Re: 93 Sable Fastener set hub caps to rims?

Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier. Hey this is awesome! I had come across those suppliers and their programs before, but in this case it just didn't come to my mind. And this company tops them all with their variety. Also amazed about their modest packaging sizes. You don't have to buy hundreds or thousands of pieces of many items. Like you say I should be able to find something here. Again, great input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007