93 taurus no start with a twist on others - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
biglakebubba

93 taurus no start with a twist on others

Seems to be a rash of these, but none like mine. I need help with a 93' Ford Taurus GL 3.0 liter. Recently, I tried to start her. Lights good, radio good, but starter would not turn over. Checked wiring on starter and found the red (relay) wire disconnected at a spade terminal. Hooked it up and she would then turn over. The two ends were loose for an unknown period, probably until it was parked at the house. Now, she turns over, no start. I hear nothing actuating under hood.
Checked fuses under dash, under hood, checked rollover switch, grounded fuel pump circuit at eec test port at right shock pillar on passenger sde of eng. comp.. Nothing happens. no start, no actuation noise of any kind.
I would appreciate some help with further ideas. I have no eec tester, but can borrow one if it will tell us something. Thanks, Biglakebubba.
biglakebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 93 taurus no start with a twist on others

When you turn the key to run before starting it, do you hear the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds?
Old 10-11-2011, 20:24   #3 (permalink)
biglakebubba

dead silence, Bert. Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 21:05   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That means the fuel pump is the problem area. Have you tried restting the impact sensor in the trunk? The pump should hum for just a few seconds every time the key is turned on to run. I'm sure you also checked if it was getting spark when cranking, but if there's no hum, it's in the fuel pump circuit. Here's the diagram for the system. | Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Old 10-11-2011, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
biglakebubba

Well, Bert, I tried to push on the red button or whatever it is right on top of the inertia switch, but it does not move. As far as checking spark, I have not yet done that since I still dont hear the pump. But, I will check it next. I understand from the wiring diagram there is a 30 amp fuse in the fuel pump circuit. Is that supposed to be in the fuse box? I dont see a listing for a fuel pump fuse anywhere in the fuse boxes, but I have checked them all and they are good. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The fuel pumps can be pretty quiet. The fuse box is the one in the engine compartment, near the firewall on the drivers side. You can check to see if theres' power to the impact sensor for a few seconds when the key is first turned to run. If the pump doesn't run, you're right, you don't need to check for spark.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23   #7 (permalink)
biglakebubba

thanks Bert
Old 10-13-2011, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
biglakebubba

Ok, got it! I fixed the wire on the starter, but could not get the broken wire out of my head. So, I looked under the cover for the ICRM. There, I noticed my transmission cooler rubber hose was cut in two in a jagged fashion. Then I thought, "Hmm", what else is going on here if all this is damaged"? So, I then found a plug in that had been plugged in before but was disconnected. Finally, looking straight up, I saw its male partner and plugged it in. Vroom! Then, of course, fluid ran out from the hose.
But, I immediately blamed all my enemies and anyone else who might do this. After long thought I remembered my black lab chasing some small critter around in the yard. He had come in covered in oily gunk. I thought it was the dozers leaking final drives. It was him! He chased the critter up there and ripped my car up. Attaboy Ranger! Thanks all. Mystery solved, murder averted.
Old 10-13-2011, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's great to hear. Those kinds of problems are harder to find than something failing. Good job.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007