Ford Forums banner

93 Taurus SHO engine gettin hot

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  phoenixsmash13 
#1 ·
ok sorry but this is my first car, and im not too good with the whole fixing cars thing. the engine was from another SHO that someone else put in 50000 miles ago and since i bought it i noticed the engine gets real hot n makes my check engine light come on. i figured it was low on anti freeze so i bought some 50/50 n put some in and still same problem. now if i could get some generalization as to what might be the causes that would be awesome. the car also had about 120000 miles on it and its an auto any suggestions can help thanks

#4 ·
alright we replaced the thermostat but its still overheating but we think we might have found the problem....my friend said that when he looked under my hood the fans werent turning? is that a problem? would it cause overheating and why? we also noticed there was a plug that wasnt plugged to anything and we couldnt find where it went to. any help would be great online diagrams or just a simple picture would be awesome

#5 ·
ya that could be the problem. The larger SHO engines more require more air to cool than the 3.0, so if there's a shortage it could be a problem. How many of the fans are running and how many arn't?

Where exactly is this unknown plug located? Do you know what it belongs to? Do you know where it's supposed to plug into?

If that unknown plug dosn't turn on the fan, it could be a blown relay or something. Talk to your dealer mechanic about getting it fized.

#6 ·
i have a 3.2 in my car we checked it today and the two that are in front of the radiator arent spinning the plug is low between the radiator and i think the engine its hard to get to obviously dont know where it belongs or what its supposed to plug into. i spoke to a gentleman who worked for ford for almost 15 years he said being that the car wasnt drivin that much the past 2 years (the past owner drove it 1-3 times a month for 2 years he only put on about 10k miles in 3 years maybe more) the radiator might be clogged i filled the radiator with antifreeze and when i checked it, the lvl was still the same.....we just changed the thermostat im hoping its clogged ill update later. it sucks when the only place u can work on ur car is in a parking lot u cant do too much all the time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.