Ford Forums banner

94 sho alternator replaced 3 times!!

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Rod3126 
#1 · (Edited)
thank you for your time. Can anyone tell me why i have had to replace the alternator in my 1994 SHO ..almost every year for the past 3 years ! My battery light is on again ! it has been coming on intermitenlly for the last 6 months now. the battery light inconsistantly comes on and may stay on for a while,, other times it comes on and goes off ,, it also flickers a little at times.
the battery light can come on at ANY RPM level .
DO i really have to put yet ANOTHER alternator in ? is there another problem causing this?
In the past the alternator was replaced by a ford dealer . the first replacement was genuine ford parts ... but when that died a year later i decided to save money and replace with a remanufactured unit.

#2 ·
you could have a couple of problems. first make sure you dont have a battery draw when the vehicle is off. this will cause a low battery charge and your alt will be charging more than it should. second, check your battery cables and your alt. cables for excessive resistance on both the ground and positive sides. you should not have anymore than .2v drop. third, check for battery terminal corrosion. also check for alt cable corrosion. forth, is the most likely solution if you have it. stereo system with many amplifiers will drain the battery causing your alt. to work very hard and shorten its life. i went through 3 alt. in 1 year because of a high amperage system. good luck!!!

#3 ·
Another possibilty could be the Voltage Regulator. If there's a little box on the inside of the engine compartment next to the battery, that's your voltage regulator.
Try changing that before you change alternators next time. It's a lot cheaper!

:td:

:evl:

#4 ·
I am working on a 93 SHO, I have problem with the alternator, it wont charge battery, I have no dash board lights, blinkers, radio, a/c, heater, or other accessories- owner attempted own repair by replacing the alternator. Now black wire from plug broken can't find other end?

#6 ·
Hello,
My nephew had a 93 SHO and replaced his starter 7 times........
The cause? I believe he told me it was a leak from the main seal which is directly above the starter. He was told the cause was a leak after changing the starter for the 3rd time, but since he had a lifetime warranty on the starter from PEP boys (from the first replacement) he opted to just keep replacing the starter, it was cheaper than replacincing the rear main seal (from what I understood). As I mentioned before....
He replaced it 7 times. He finally had the rear seal done. It was quite costly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.