94 Taurus poor gas mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 16:57   #1 (permalink)

Read 94 Taurus poor gas mileage

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, so here goes.

Ive had my 94 Ford Taurus 3.0L for over a year now. I just hit 98k on it. I need some questions answered if possible.

I have already had a full tune up on the car about 3 months back. that includes plugs, wires, rotor cap, fuel filter, air filter, and distributor cap.

I'm getting HORRIBLE gas milage! i can barely get 200 miles to the tank!

---From all the reviews I have found on the car i have read that the MAS sensor is prone to go. Heres the kicker, my check engine light does not come on and I know for a fact it is not burnt out. The engine idles alittle rough too.---

My only guesses to the bad gas mileage is three things at the moment. The MAS sensor, the oxygen sensor, or my buddy didn't gap the spark plugs right, and that im not sure on because i still got decent accelleration and power.

What else could it possibly be? Am I on the right track? Could these items be defective even though the check engine light does not come on while I'm driving?
bassman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 18:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 Taurus poor gas mileage

Have you ever cleaned the MAS sensor??? I doubt the problem is plugs.
If I were trying to fix this thing I would put a computer on the car and look for any error codes that might be posted even if the light is not lighted.

You will need a special tool to remove the screws that secure the MAS sensor to the air intake pipe.......this connects to the the air filter. I purchased mine on the internet but I forgot where. They are not expensive, just hard to find. Just spray the platinum wires with electronic cleaner or carb cleaner. The number of miles you have on the car would make the MAS suspect. Those wires are fragile, brake one and you will have to replace the thing.

Others have talked about the throttle plate but I cannot offer help with it.

Good luck--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:50   #3 (permalink)

Ahh ok thats one of the questions i wanted to find out on is that the engine will still give out error codes even though the check engine light is not on. I was looking into getting a code scanner before ripping into this bad boy. I cleaned the MAS yesterday, squirted some cleaner into the air intake. i didnt want to squirt inside the little hole thats located on the tube side of the MAS because I'm not sure if it would damage it more. A rebuilt one is 108, and a new one like 159 bucks. So I'll try the code scanner deal first, anybody know where to find a cheap one?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:24   #4 (permalink)

Bassman-- Unless your MAS is different than those I have seen, squirting into the air intake will not get the sensor cleaned. I tried that approach on my Cougar, did not work!

Take the sensor off!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:38   #5 (permalink)

hey man, well I bought the code reader. its giving me the follwoing codes:

With the engine off: Code 335
With the engine on: Code 326

Both have to do with the EGR sensor, one is lower voltage than expected and the other is either. So i bought the new sensor and bought an EGR valve for good measure. there were no codes for the MAS.

I'll keep everyone posted how i make out. Right now I gotta change the radiator cuz the nylon tanks are puking when the engine is cold but fine when its warmed up, new radiator was 94 bucks, well worth it. Right now I really feel like this with my Taurus at the moment HA!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:54   #6 (permalink)

Good job!!! A computer or some means to reading the OBD2 code helps to remove guess work plus avoiding purchasing unneeded parts

Foggy
Old 01-30-2007, 19:44   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys. Welp I just finished changing my radiator, a side note to the topic of this discussion but I have to say even the aftermarket radiators are cheaply made, i prefer to have an all metal radiator, nylon you can't weld! Price was good, 94 bucks for a new OEM one off ebay.

So the gas mileage problem. I changed out the EGR sensor for 40 bucks, popped the code reader on and the trouble code was gone. So it was def the sensor, but I also had bought the EGR valve itself in case it wasnt that at the time. So i just replaced it too (and the EGR valve on the car looked original too) and i saw a MAJOR improvment with idleing, it is much smoother!

So I will see how the gas mileage is now, still, i will change the O2 sensor for good measure. When I was under the car i only saw one sensor, (front one right before the CAT) i figure there be two of them for each side of the engine. Is there only one or two on the car?

Anything else I can change or check besides what Ive done? I mean if the gas mileage still sucks after all this and the O2 sensors, then the MAS sensor has to be the culprit. Still I look at it as prevenative maintenece.

Thanks to everyone who have helped me thus far. I am seeing results! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 94 Taurus poor gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman1985
Hey guys. Welp I just finished changing my radiator, a side note to the topic of this discussion but I have to say even the aftermarket radiators are cheaply made, i prefer to have an all metal radiator, nylon you can't weld! Price was good, 94 bucks for a new OEM one off ebay.

So the gas mileage problem. I changed out the EGR sensor for 40 bucks, popped the code reader on and the trouble code was gone. So it was def the sensor, but I also had bought the EGR valve itself in case it wasnt that at the time. So i just replaced it too (and the EGR valve on the car looked original too) and i saw a MAJOR improvment with idleing, it is much smoother!

So I will see how the gas mileage is now, still, i will change the O2 sensor for good measure. When I was under the car i only saw one sensor, (front one right before the CAT) i figure there be two of them for each side of the engine. Is there only one or two on the car?

Anything else I can change or check besides what Ive done? I mean if the gas mileage still sucks after all this and the O2 sensors, then the MAS sensor has to be the culprit. Still I look at it as prevenative maintenece.

Thanks to everyone who have helped me thus far. I am seeing results! Thanks!
There are two one you car, one before each cat.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 21:33   #9 (permalink)

i dont think so, i did see the front one, and there is only one cat on the car. when i get a chance to look under there I'll look. i didi take the car driving today and on less than a quarter tank i got 60 miles. Big difference seeing i was getting that on almost a half tank. so its def improving!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:12   #10 (permalink)

Hey guys. Welp I think I've solved for the gas mileage. I drove the car around and filled it back to the top, for 114 miles it took exactly 6.081 gallons. It was all city driving, little if any highway driving.

So I calculated about 18.75 miles per gallon.

Fuel Type Regular Gasoline
MPG (city) 19
MPG (highway) 28
MPG (combined) 23

Above taken from Fuel Economy

For a thirteen year old car, I suppose this is the best I'm gonna get.

---Now heres a question for everyone. How big is this gas tank on the 94? The owners manual says 18.4 gallons, but the service manual I got from Haynes says its 16, and everytime I fill up, if Im very close to the E i can get only about 12 gallons. Jury is out on this one. Any ideas? My guess its a 14 gallon, figure 2 gallons for the sump and fuel lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007