94 Taurus Stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 18:49   #1 (permalink)

94 Taurus Stalling

I have a 94 3.0 V6 with ~150K miles. About 2 1/2 years ago after a 100+ mi. trip from college to home (all interstate driving) I parked it for about 15-20 minutes, just in town, then started back up to drive home. I moved for about 150 yards, then the car slowly stalled out. I tried to start up again, and the starter would run, but the engine wouldn't catch and fire up. After sitting for about 30 mins. I tried again; started up fine and I drove the 5 miles home.

I was told this was due to bad fuel filter, which I now replace every 5-6 months.

After newest oil/fuel filter change, the car stalled again. This was a drive up I-95; I had gone 70-75 miles (roughly one hour of driving), then the car slowly lost power; full throttle gave me no engine response, I cut all the extras (A/C, radio), no result either. I parked on the shoulder for about an hour, started up and drove the rest of the trip fine. In that hour I tried starting about 4 or 5 times. After the first 15 mins. and each 15 mins afterward I would crank it up and the engine would catch and start running, but when I put the car in gear and started moving, it would stall out again.

Same deal a few weeks later, another trip (some stop & go this time), drove about 1 hour and stalled. I let it sit for 15 mins then tried again, no luck, but when I floored the throttle when cranking, the engine would catch and start up, run for a minute or two then stall out again.

Took it to local Ford guys, ODB I, and no Check Engine light means that was a bust (the light does work).

Other stuff: Car feels like it's lost some power, especially during moderate acceleration. Hard, toe-in acceleration is okay, but feels a little delayed; it didn't used to feel like that. Today after the ~7 mile drive back home from work, when standing near the fuel filler side I caught a strong gasoline smell. Exhaust smells okay, but the gasoline smell is pretty strong.

This has been plaguing me for over 2 years! Any help would be awesome!
SonicSponic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 19:25   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 94 Taurus Stalling

It may be a fuel pump on the way out. When you have a no start, check for good spark and check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 19:50   #3 (permalink)

Not sure if a bad catalytic converter will give an error code but I can tell you from experience, a collapsed converter plugs the exhaust. Car will not run properly and conditions get worse as time progresses.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 20:31   #4 (permalink)

How do I check for good spark, and if I buy a fuel pressure tester, does it include instructions on how to use it? Also, is there a way to check the cat. converter? I have good exhaust coming from the tailpipe, but when the car is in the process of stalling out, the exhaust sputters with the dying engine. Thanks for all the help!
SonicSponic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14   #5 (permalink)

The easiest way to test fuel pressure is to find the pressure test port on the fuel rail, turn the key to the 'ON' position (don't try to start it) and press the little stopper in the test port down. If a good stream of fuel comes out, your pressure is probably okay. If it just trickles, or there is no fuel at all, then you have a pressure issue. Good luck!

Last edited by slycer_2000; 08-12-2008 at 17:08. Reason: Forgot some info
slycer_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Sure sounds like a bad pump. AutoZone would test the fuel pressure but a static value is not always a sign of the pumps condition.

The pump pressure should be 39 lbs with the engine off after cycling the key a couple of times. 35 lbs with the engine idling, 39 lbs with the engine idling and the vacuum line to the regulator disconnected and plugged.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007