Ford Forums banner

95 sable 3.0L stalls when first started in winter

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tas38 
#1 ·
I have a 95 mercury Sable (3.0 L) which as of late stalls when it is started in our wonderful Canadian Winter months. This mainly happens when the car is left on my girlfriends driveway, which is slighly slanted. The car "pulses" in and out of fast idle and at times flashes the "check engine" light. At this point in time, as soon as you hit reverse it stalls out.

The car does not seem to do this habbit (as much) when it is on level ground.

My thoughts so far, is that is the fuel pump, or some sort of idle air control circuit (not sure the proper name). I may try some gas line antifreeze to perchance find that this cold has partially frozen the pump or a gas line ?

Any help would be great.

#2 ·
My 93 just had that problem, only when it was cold out till it warmed up. Then the brakes would not work at all, and it would not run unless I kept gving it gas. Seems that a vacum hose T broke, then broke all the way off. I fixed it, and it works good now even just starting it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.