95 taurus sho idles fo 30min and dies - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:29   #1 (permalink)

95 taurus sho idles fo 30min and dies

i have a 95 sho that idles for 30min and dies. it will not start up again till the next day.replaced the ignition module and didnt fix the problem.i think the crank sensor is the problem but i already spent $200 on a ignition module dont want to waste any money on guessing. i read alot on the forum to see if i could figure out how to test it but not of the forum were not about a 95 sho 3.2liter.

this is what ive done so far

first off it has 40psi fuel pressure,and no spark

i hooked a volt meter to the grey wire from the crank sensor and get 12v constant even when spinning the engine over and when the key is off. then i checked the coil for power and it did,then checked the 3 yellow wires while spinning the engine over and the test light did not blink. is this the proper way to check a 95 crank sensor or is there another?

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
aaronbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 07:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: 95 taurus sho idles fo 30min and dies

i read another forum and it said that when you spin the engine over and if the rpm gauge does not move the cps is bad.

i tried the method and when i spen the engine over the rpm guage moves to around 500 rpm but im still not getting fire.

but still uncertain about this could it be the cam sensor instead?

does the cam sensor have anything to do with spark,i thought it was to tell the injectors when to fire, but im not sure though.
Old 03-24-2009, 14:01   #3 (permalink)

You just threw away $200.00 on a guess. You could have sent it out and had it properly
diagnosed for probably less. Check all grounds. sounds like you have a heating problem.
Check the grounds for the D.I.S. modual. Specially the bottom two on the manifold.
No, the c.p.s. has nothing to do with spark. It times the injectors. My C.P.S. was completely smashed and the top was gone when the magnet fell out. The engine runs on limp mode. A little lumpy but runs fine.There is a special set of tests you have to preform to test your system. Too involved for my time on this forum. DO NOT use a powered test light to do your tests or a powered Vom meter. You could back feed the E.C.M. and it will go by by. Save yourself time and money. Send it out. You get a warranty if they screw up. You are working on a non user friendly engine. If you have little or no experience on this motor You might as well find a good driving car and start
throwing twenty dollar bills out the window as you go by. Hopefully you might get it fixed
before you drive 5 miles. Maybe. Good luck. The C.P.S. by the way is a Cam position sensor. Without a " real time " scan tool you will have problems tracking this down. Then
again you might luck out on the next $200.00 you spend. All kidding aside i'd suggest
you send it out. someone on this site could fix your problem. you never know.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 15:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
You just threw away $200.00 on a guess. You could have sent it out and had it properly
diagnosed for probably less. Check all grounds. sounds like you have a heating problem.
Check the grounds for the D.I.S. modual. Specially the bottom two on the manifold.
No, the c.p.s. has nothing to do with spark. It times the injectors. My C.P.S. was completely smashed and the top was gone when the magnet fell out. The engine runs on limp mode. A little lumpy but runs fine.There is a special set of tests you have to preform to test your system. Too involved for my time on this forum. DO NOT use a powered test light to do your tests or a powered Vom meter. You could back feed the E.C.M. and it will go by by. Save yourself time and money. Send it out. You get a warranty if they screw up. You are working on a non user friendly engine. If you have little or no experience on this motor You might as well find a good driving car and start
throwing twenty dollar bills out the window as you go by. Hopefully you might get it fixed
before you drive 5 miles. Maybe. Good luck. The C.P.S. by the way is a Cam position sensor. Without a " real time " scan tool you will have problems tracking this down. Then
again you might luck out on the next $200.00 you spend. All kidding aside i'd suggest
you send it out. someone on this site could fix your problem. you never know.
thx for the information and your time, this car is a headache,started running fine again it seem to fix itself, but i still dont trust it yet, it was my mothers car and was trying to fix it cheap for my daughter but doesnt look like that going to happen.
Old 03-24-2009, 19:13   #5 (permalink)

That is quite a car for your daughter. Maybe a little over kill ? It is a beautiful car but
not usually a daily driver for all seasons. Has it had it's 60,000 mile maintenance ?
A must do. A wire set can cost $170.00. Never mind you guys. I have 3 of these in my
yard. After market replacements for the plugs and wires are NOT recommended. I found
out the hard way. I tried it. Didn't last one year. Anyway, aaronbob check ALL grounds.
I'll try to walk you through this. Thing is you can't fix something that is still running.
Hope you get it sorted.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007