95 Taurus Transmission Hard shift - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 10:19   #1 (permalink)

95 Taurus Transmission Hard shift

Guys here is my problem:

My 95 Taurus with automatic trans experience hard shift from 1st to 2nd in certain driving conditions. Meaning this occurs only when I slow down to take a turn. And then as I slowly pump the gas to accelerate, I feel this jerking in the car when it shifts gear. And this occurs not regularly. It is better to come to a complete stop because this hard shift does not occur. I mostly experience this problem mostly on turning and most of the time a right turn. From cold start no problem but once trans fluid is hot, this problem occurs.

I already changed fluid hoping this will cure the problem. Color of fluid normnal.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks.
merban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 23:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: 95 Taurus Transmission Hard shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by merban
Guys here is my problem:

My 95 Taurus with automatic trans experience hard shift from 1st to 2nd in certain driving conditions. Meaning this occurs only when I slow down to take a turn. And then as I slowly pump the gas to accelerate, I feel this jerking in the car when it shifts gear. And this occurs not regularly. It is better to come to a complete stop because this hard shift does not occur. I mostly experience this problem mostly on turning and most of the time a right turn. From cold start no problem but once trans fluid is hot, this problem occurs.

I already changed fluid hoping this will cure the problem. Color of fluid normnal.

Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks.
A hard shift is usually a result of low transmission fluid pressure. You could either have a poor transmission pump or a faulty Electronic Pressure Control (EPC .. the control solenoid that changes the internal fluid pressure depending on speed and temperature). My guess is the EPC is your problem. These transmissions sometimes have hard shifts even if they are working perfectly so unless the problem is impossible to live with, I'd leave it alone.
Gary1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 13:32   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: 95 Taurus Transmission Hard shift

Similarly, I have a 1993 Taurus Wagon with about 125,000 miles, and on a small incline upon acceleration it tends to down-shift, and then does not shift back up, so until I tur n the engine off, the car keeps going at the lower gear. Sometimes, between second and third it hesitates a long time so that by the time it shifts, it then immediately shifts to 4th. Any ideas/help,
thanks.
mjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 19:04   #4 (permalink)

The transmission is a hard item to trouble-shoot because the problem could be outside or inside the unit. My advice on a poor or no shift would be to check the transmission fluid pressure first (there's a pressure test port on the top of the unit, in front of the shift connector). The EPC solenoid (located inside the transmission and controlled from the EEC) can also affect the fluid pressure and produce odd symptoms.

If the fluid pressure is OK, then the internal valves may be sticking or the 2-3 accumulator may be damaged (and then there's the possibility of a damaged clutch piston or seal). Most of these items require transmission removal for proper inspection.

I'm not a transmission expert but I've pulled a few of these things apart and I find it's hard (and expensive) to get internal parts .. easier to get a junkyard unit and replace. If you do go the junkyard route, try to find a car with a rebuilt unit (can be identified by the poor paint job) .. many rebuilders incorperate better parts than the original Ford transmissions (and don't forget to ask for a short term replacement warranty in case it's faulty).
Gary1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:43   #5 (permalink)

Sir Gary,
Thanks for your sound advice. I'm kind of resigned to having to replace the transmission with a rebuilt, but I'll have a mechanic (yes, I found an honest one in Chicago) check out the EPC solenoid, since the fluid pressure appeared OK a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks again for your time and diagnostics.
mjmr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1234
The transmission is a hard item to trouble-shoot because the problem could be outside or inside the unit. My advice on a poor or no shift would be to check the transmission fluid pressure first (there's a pressure test port on the top of the unit, in front of the shift connector). The EPC solenoid (located inside the transmission and controlled from the EEC) can also affect the fluid pressure and produce odd symptoms.

If the fluid pressure is OK, then the internal valves may be sticking or the 2-3 accumulator may be damaged (and then there's the possibility of a damaged clutch piston or seal). Most of these items require transmission removal for proper inspection.

I'm not a transmission expert but I've pulled a few of these things apart and I find it's hard (and expensive) to get internal parts .. easier to get a junkyard unit and replace. If you do go the junkyard route, try to find a car with a rebuilt unit (can be identified by the poor paint job) .. many rebuilders incorperate better parts than the original Ford transmissions (and don't forget to ask for a short term replacement warranty in case it's faulty).
mjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007