96' ford taurus overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 17:48   #1 (permalink)

96' ford taurus overheating

Hi all,

I bought a 96' ford taurus about 6 months ago and about 5 months ago, the heat gauge in the dash went up to the red part and it has been doing it ever since but i did not experience any symptoms of the car overheating or anything, so i thought the gauge was broke, so i kept driving the car and everything was fine.

Until me and my friend decided to go on a road trip to seattle, we made it about 20 minutes on the highway and then the car overheated and had to get it towed home.

So my dad, friend and I looked at the car the next day and saw that there was NO antifreeze/coolant in the resovior. So we simply put some coolant in it and started it up and it worked fine (no overheating), so i drove the car around a little and when i was finished, i stopped and got out and it was leaking coolant all over te ground (a lot, maybe a quart or more). But i had to get home so i drove the car home anyway and the car started to get really weak, and i had to put the accelerator all the way down to even accelerate a little, i had to go like 20 mph all the way home.

So later that day we realized that there was a crack in the coolant resovior.

So far i have done the following:
-new thermostat
-new coolant resovior
-new coolant resovior cap
-i took the whole car apart and checked my water pump and it looked in great condition other than some rust on the inside of the neck.

i think i might have a blown head gasket? but im not sure.

any help would be great, thanks.

(the car is a V6 3.0 L Ford Taurus GL 96')
redwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 96' ford taurus overheating

Quote:
But i had to get home so i drove the car home anyway and the car started to get really weak, and i had to put the accelerator all the way down to even accelerate a little, i had to go like 20 mph all the way home.
It was probably OK until then
Coolant may have been really nasty and the system is all gooped up causing a blockage in the system. If you suspect a head gasket, there is a tool called a "Head gasket leak detector" that uses a special liquid that detects combustion gasses in the cooling system. I would check it that way before wasting any more money on it.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:47   #3 (permalink)

well my dad thinks its not a head gasket and that i have scored cylinders or somthing, does that sound right?
Old 06-21-2006, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Gearheadus Maximus

You mentioned that you checked the reservoir, but you never stated that you checked the radiator.

Is the radiator full? Do you still have leaks? Is the problem that you're still having the overheating
problem or is it the weak problem?

If your car had a blown head gasket, you would notice a few things...

1. The oil might get fuller and you couldn't figure out why
2. The anti-freeze/coolant may be a milky brown color
3. You could see white smoke from the exhaust

If you're still having an overheating problem, you might want to have the coolant system and radiator
cap pressure checked to make sure they're alright

Scott
450HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 18:26   #5 (permalink)

okay thanks, im still working on getting the water pump back on, because i took it off to see if it was broke... theres a million bolts and i have to try to get the old gasket off..
Old 06-23-2006, 20:20   #6 (permalink)

my engines gone, any1 wanna buy a 96' taurus wit bad engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007