Originally Posted by sjb954
Is there any way to know which one it would be?
I'd make sure first nothing is bound up in the suspension and rack first by doing this:
1. Remove both front wheels.
2. Remove the nuts holding the tie rod ends to the spindles.
3. Hit the spindles with a hammer to release the tie rod ends from the spindles.
4. Manually turn the spindles. The should turn easily.
5. With the ignition key on, turn the steering wheel side to side, It should not bind.
6. Make sure the tie rod end studs do not bind.
If evertything checks out then go with the pump.