'96 Sable tune-up/tranny flush - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 13:01   #1 (permalink)

'96 Sable tune-up/tranny flush

I just bought a '96 sable with 54xxxx mi. I was wondering is there a way i can flush the tranny fluid in my garage without taking it somewhere that has the tranny flush machine? Also is there anything special i should replace. I was looking at doing a pcv, t-stat, radiator cap, and looking at the plugs. Anything to watch out for?
fiveo32stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 20:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: '96 Sable tune-up/tranny flush

Tranny Flush machines are swift death for taurus/sable transmissions. Do not use them.

The way to do it at home would be to drop the transmission pan, clean it out and clean off the filter, and then run fresh fluid in either from the cooler line or just into the pan.

Is it true that you have over half a million miles on your sable or is that a typo?
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02   #3 (permalink)

You have got to tell us if that is a typo? I'd love to know if you have half a mill miles!

Yes I don't think a tranny flush is advisable. My '97 has 142K miles and all I've ever done is drop the pan, let it drip dry, replace the filter, clean residue from pan, rebolt/torgue pan, and refill with fresh fluid. I've been pretty religious about doing it at 30K miles.

If that is not a typo I wonder if a tranny service with that kind of miles will cause more harm than good. Others on this forum may know better about extreme mileage service.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 19:09   #4 (permalink)

54,000 is not that extreme. Ford recommends every 30M, so you're definately overdue. I'm not a big fan of tranny flushes. Read the pros and cons here: Free-Auto-Repair-Advice: Transmission fluid
Old 07-14-2007, 17:26   #5 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Go here to see how to flush the tranny at home using the method out of the Ford repair manual.

How to Flush your transmission at home - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007