96 Taurus Break Caliper problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 16:01   #1 (permalink)

96 Taurus Break Caliper problem

We are trying to replace the front brake pads on a '96 taurus. On the left side, the Caliper piston seems to be stuck - on the right side we pushed the piston down by opening up the brake line thing on the caliper, and as we pushed it down some brake fluid came out, but on the left side we cannot get the piston to go down at all.

Any ideas?
Cephalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2007, 08:59   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: 96 Taurus Break Caliper problem

I assume you are using a C clamp? If so then it may be jammed and probably time for a replacement.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 19:46   #3 (permalink)

Well have you tried using a Use a 6 point socket? or the best way to remove it is to take your needle nose plier and open it up.Depending how wide
your pliers open up, you might not need to open it up all the way. Then just stick the needle nose pliers into the rear piston where the two grooves are, and push down while turning with as much force as you can push. My pistons seemed very tough to turn at first, but once you get going, it gets smoother as you begin to turn. The best way to do this, is to get the tips of the needle nose pliers to the far edge of the circumference of the piston as possible without going out too far (otherwise you'll slip out), therefore you get the most torque out of it. And essentially, the tips of the pliers fit into the two grooves and to turn the pliers clockwise. This is what I did when I have the same problem with my Honda brake caliper.--And One thing,Please!!, don't ever buy the brake piston CUBE tool thingy, it'll be no different than flushing money down the toilet, not to mention the aggravation! Hope it works...Good luck...
angelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 96 Taurus Break Caliper problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfast
Well have you tried using a Use a 6 point socket? or the best way to remove it is to take your needle nose plier and open it up.Depending how wide
your pliers open up, you might not need to open it up all the way. Then just stick the needle nose pliers into the rear piston where the two grooves are, and push down while turning with as much force as you can push. My pistons seemed very tough to turn at first, but once you get going, it gets smoother as you begin to turn. The best way to do this, is to get the tips of the needle nose pliers to the far edge of the circumference of the piston as possible without going out too far (otherwise you'll slip out), therefore you get the most torque out of it. And essentially, the tips of the pliers fit into the two grooves and to turn the pliers clockwise. This is what I did when I have the same problem with my Honda brake caliper.--And One thing,Please!!, don't ever buy the brake piston CUBE tool thingy, it'll be no different than flushing money down the toilet, not to mention the aggravation! Hope it works...Good luck...
OK......did you even read the post or were you half asleep whe you typed a response??? He said the front calipers, not the rear.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39   #5 (permalink)

So we're talking the front, right? If so, when I did my '97 at about 55K miles I don't recall having to open the bleeder screws was necessary. A good C-clamp should press them back no problem. If they won't budge you're probably looking at bound up pistons, in which case you need to rebuild/replace the calipers.

On the rear calipers, yes, I opened the bleeder screws to press the pistons back. But my pistons bound up around 130K miles and I had to replace the rear calipers.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 22:55   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I think what the author must have done is removed both calipers instead of doing one at a time and when the piston on one was compressed it forced the other one out causing it to jam. - Been there done that ONCE... - Yes a good C clamp is the way to do that, no need to open the system on front's.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 19:05   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
OK......did you even read the post or were you half asleep whe you typed a response??? He said the front calipers, not the rear.

oh i see...I must have overlooked that..sorry budd...I've browsed too much on this, must have strained my eyes already... ok then, ya I agree the C clamp would be much better to use...
angelfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007