96 Taurus DOHC misfires, low oil pressure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

96 Taurus DOHC misfires, low oil pressure

I am posting because I'm actually having trouble finding a trustworthy mechanic who wants to look at my car. It seems mechanics who are equipped to do diagnostic work are in short supply in Milwaukee.

I have a well maintained 96 Taurus 24v 3L DOHC. About two months ago I received an intermittent low oil pressure light. The oil was not especially low but I added some, just in case. I took the car into my regular shop, and they said there was nothing wrong it. I have monitored the oil level, and it is normal.

About three weeks ago I was coming to a red light and braked as normal. I put the car in park to fiddle around with something, and when the light turned green, I couldn't depress my brake to put it into drive again - the brake pedal was stuck in the up position. So, I turned the car off and back on again, and it struggled to start a bit, which was unusual.

I didn't think much of these oddities, so I got on the freeway. Five miles later, as I am exiting the freeway, my CEL begins to blink and my low oil pressure light comes on. There was very obvious shaking and the vehicle struggled, but I was in a rough stretch of town at night with no phone, so I pushed ahead another mile to my regular shop. There was a lot of engine noise - possibly from the valve train, but I'm not an expert. My battery light was also on by the time I got to the shop, which I guess is from reduced engine power.

My shop calls be back to tell me that I have a p0303, and that their opinion is the car isn't even worth further diagnosis - with the combination of engine noise, low oil pressure light, and misfire, the engine must be dead.

I took the car back - I drove it a block to store it off their property (it still starts and runs, although it has a lot of trouble starting, which is new with this most recent problem). The battery light has not come back but the other two lights remain. I borrowed a friend's cheapo code reader and it gave me p0303 and p0305. I don't know if my shop lied, but whatever the case, now I have misfires in the 3rd and 5th cylinders.

Can anyone advise on my next step? Does a low oil pressure light and misfire codes indicate a dead engine 100% of the time? Is the lack of vacuum to my brakes five miles before this happened a clue?

I don't want to give a shop $300 for diagnosis when they start out being convinced that I need a new engine. I have done some research, and I'm thinking about trying to get a vacuum gauge and hooking it up to the hose that runs from my engine to my brake booster - as I understand it, a bouncing needle would indicate a valve problem. Any problem that requires removing the engine probably means I need a new car.

Please advise.

Thanks,
John
John96Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 17:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: 96 Taurus DOHC misfires, low oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by John96Taurus View Post
I am posting because I'm actually having trouble finding a trustworthy mechanic who wants to look at my car. It seems mechanics who are equipped to do diagnostic work are in short supply in Milwaukee.

I have a well maintained 96 Taurus 24v 3L DOHC. About two months ago I received an intermittent low oil pressure light. The oil was not especially low but I added some, just in case. I took the car into my regular shop, and they said there was nothing wrong it. I have monitored the oil level, and it is normal.

About three weeks ago I was coming to a red light and braked as normal. I put the car in park to fiddle around with something, and when the light turned green, I couldn't depress my brake to put it into drive again - the brake pedal was stuck in the up position. So, I turned the car off and back on again, and it struggled to start a bit, which was unusual.

I didn't think much of these oddities, so I got on the freeway. Five miles later, as I am exiting the freeway, my CEL begins to blink and my low oil pressure light comes on. There was very obvious shaking and the vehicle struggled, but I was in a rough stretch of town at night with no phone, so I pushed ahead another mile to my regular shop. There was a lot of engine noise - possibly from the valve train, but I'm not an expert. My battery light was also on by the time I got to the shop, which I guess is from reduced engine power.

My shop calls be back to tell me that I have a p0303, and that their opinion is the car isn't even worth further diagnosis - with the combination of engine noise, low oil pressure light, and misfire, the engine must be dead.

I took the car back - I drove it a block to store it off their property (it still starts and runs, although it has a lot of trouble starting, which is new with this most recent problem). The battery light has not come back but the other two lights remain. I borrowed a friend's cheapo code reader and it gave me p0303 and p0305. I don't know if my shop lied, but whatever the case, now I have misfires in the 3rd and 5th cylinders.

Can anyone advise on my next step? Does a low oil pressure light and misfire codes indicate a dead engine 100% of the time? Is the lack of vacuum to my brakes five miles before this happened a clue?

I don't want to give a shop $300 for diagnosis when they start out being convinced that I need a new engine. I have done some research, and I'm thinking about trying to get a vacuum gauge and hooking it up to the hose that runs from my engine to my brake booster - as I understand it, a bouncing needle would indicate a valve problem. Any problem that requires removing the engine probably means I need a new car.

Please advise.

Thanks,
John
Hello and good day from Green Bay:

Ok...Do you know the Engine Type, and Size?

Ford Mondeo V6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it's a DOHC its most likely a 3.0L V6 24v Duratec.

Any way you may want to take it to Autozone, or Advance Auto to have them re Check the OBDII Codes.

I would lean towards to Coil Pack as the Misfire I would replace it soon.

The low pressure could be a multitude of Problems...Vac Hose Leaks...PCV...Oil Pump...Leaking Oil Gasket on Pan..Head..

Lets start with the Basics...Get a Oil Change and a Good Filter. Have a Compression test done on the Cylinders. etc.

1996Ford Taurus3.0LVIN "1 or 2" OHV Vulcan, Flex Fuel1996Ford Taurus3.0LVIN "U or 4" OHV Vulcan1996Ford Taurus3.0LVIN "S" DOHC Duratec1996Ford Taurus SHO3.4LVIN "N" SHO
Old 02-26-2011, 18:44   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 96 Taurus DOHC misfires, low oil pressure

Ric? You OK?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007