'96 Taurus front strut removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 10:50   #1 (permalink)

'96 Taurus front strut removal

Hey all,

I'm in the process of trying to replace the McPherson struts on my dad's 96 Taurus. The problem I have is that it looks like I have to compress the spring in the car to get the strut out, but I can't fit a spring compressor in there, even if I remove the fender liners. If I put the hex head end at the top, I can't get a wrench on it, and if I put it at the bottom, the end of the compressor's huge screw runs into the chassis. There are holes above the struts that appear to be there specifically for relieving this problem, but on the driver side, one of them is blocked by part of the strut mount.

Am I going about this wrong? If so, what is the correct method? The chilton's manual isn't very useful, as it just says something like "compress spring, remove strut," and the picture isn't even of the correct parts.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
RazorWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 23:49   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: '96 Taurus front strut removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorWind
Hey all,

I'm in the process of trying to replace the McPherson struts on my dad's 96 Taurus. The problem I have is that it looks like I have to compress the spring in the car to get the strut out, but I can't fit a spring compressor in there, even if I remove the fender liners. If I put the hex head end at the top, I can't get a wrench on it, and if I put it at the bottom, the end of the compressor's huge screw runs into the chassis. There are holes above the struts that appear to be there specifically for relieving this problem, but on the driver side, one of them is blocked by part of the strut mount.

Am I going about this wrong? If so, what is the correct method? The chilton's manual isn't very useful, as it just says something like "compress spring, remove strut," and the picture isn't even of the correct parts.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
The easiest way AND safest way to do that job is to take the whole strut out to take the spring off. Make sure that you have the spring compressor on and mounted good before you take the struts out!!!!!!!! Those springs can take a limb off if you are not carefull enough If you need more info on how to do this let me know and I can post some instuctions for you.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 17:37   #3 (permalink)

Undo the rear lower control arm bolt and nut, it will allow the arm to swing a bit and allow the spindle to drop more to allow the strut to clear the spindle...
05TaurSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 19:28   #4 (permalink)

This was posted 2 years ago i would think they fixed that strut by now.

Bert
kb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 20:55   #5 (permalink)

I'm sure...

However, the poster probably isn't the only person who owns a Taurus of that vintage...I put it up there in case SOMEONE ELSE ran into the same problem...
05TaurSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 16:58   #6 (permalink)

I have a similar problem. I need to replace a front strut on my 02 Sable, but I hate to have to remove the steering knuckle. Is there a trick to avoid having to do this? Would removing the lower control arm bolt give me enough room to pull the strut out?
alexaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 13:16   #7 (permalink)

You can buy this baby and not have to take the knuckle off. Ford Strut Tool
Old 03-08-2008, 23:34   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

What I do is lower the subframe on the side I am working on. Once the subframe bolts on one side are taken out then reinserted three turns, I lower the subframe on that one side. Then give the knuckle a kick and the strut will pop right out. Takes me about 20 minutes a side.

If you keep one side of the subframe tight you will not lose your alignment.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:14   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMN View Post
You can buy this baby and not have to take the knuckle off. Ford Strut Tool
Does that tool keep you from having to unbolt the subframe/lower control arm?
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007