96.turaus.brake probs? i think..?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 11:55   #1 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

96.turaus.brake probs? i think..??

thanx 4 all the help on my last problem: but know some thing new to fix ..heres my prob:i think the passenger side brake caliper is sticking but not sure.when i drive more the 10 miles on the road. it seems as if its sticking because the car will seem to lack power & cant go faster then 40klm.the steering wheel shakes .then suddenly it stops if i hit a good pot hole.but when i park the car u can hear the rotor crackling its so hot.just yesterday i could of lit my cigarette off it glowing red.should i just replace the caliper.the pads r new from a week-ago.but when replaceing the pads had a very hard tyme compressing the cylinder in. any input would be very helpful.thanx.
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 12:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: 96.turaus.brake probs? i think..??

You definitely have a sticking caliper or some other problem on the wheel. Take the wheel off and make sure everything looks OK. A caliper can stick for 2 reasons - the piston can stick or the pins on the sliding bracket can stick. If the piston was hard to compress, that is most likely the problem. I would just replace that caliper - I would guess they are not too expensive. If you are lucky, the pads and rotor did not sustain any permanent damage from overheating.
Luxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55   #3 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

thanx 4 the fast reply.thats what i was thinking.just didnt want to replace any thing that isnt broke.the strange thing is it dosent do it when the weathers cool out.sometyme 2 days in a row with no probs.its got a mind of its own.thanx again.still going to wait 4 more replys just too be sure.
thanx:
Old 09-12-2007, 14:53   #4 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

i just returned from my parts dealer.wow did i ever get a deal paid 82 bucks 4 a caliper & 11 bucks 4 a rotor.not bad 100bucks cnd:& still get the core value of $30.61 back.enough 4 a case of beer.kool.i will let u all know if thats the problem or not in a few days when we work on it.if its not the problem.oh well paid less then 100 bucks 4 new parts. at lease i got new rotor & caliper.
thanx:
Old 09-12-2007, 17:00   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 96.turaus.brake probs? i think..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty
I just returned from my parts dealer. Wow!!! Did I ever get a deal!!! Paid 82 bucks for a caliper & 11 bucks for a rotor. Not bad. 100 bucks Cndn: & still get the core value of $30.61 back. Enough for a case of beer. Cool. I will let you all know if that's the problem or not in a few days when we work on it. If its not the problem, oh well, paid less then 100 bucks for new parts. At least I got new rotor & caliper.
You really should do the flex hose with the caliper. In rare cases the inside of the hose can break apart and block the hose when releasing the brake pedal. This can cause the caliper to stick too. Also, the heat from the sticking caliper can affect the life of the hose. Very cheap insurance in the long run.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

advice taken there: better safe then sorry..i got a primeo spare..in the in stocks in the garage ..car port is a lift.
thanx:
more replys wecome.: maybe it is not the brakes?
will update u yall...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Make sure the pins slide freely
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45   #8 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

ahhh!!! pins were shot 2 hell.same with the cylinder..the flex-hose was fine .the rotor was craped out .it was cracked on both sides from the heat....ohh but now i see the lower ball joint near the bottom of the brakes, needs 2 be replaced..yet another problem on the ford..ahh it never ends..
thanx:
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54   #9 (permalink)
im just a bit nuts.....

umm. also a cheap $2.99 bleed kit cums in handy no mess .
thanx:
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 96.turaus.brake probs? i think..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty
Ahhh!!! pins were shot to hell. Same with the cylinder. The flex-hose was fine. The rotor was crapped out. It was cracked on both sides from the heat....ohh but now I see the lower ball joint near the bottom of the brakes, needs to be replaced. Yet another problem on the Ford... ahh it never ends..
thanx:
The flex hose may look fine, but it may rear it's ugly head soon. Doing the flex hose is very cheap insurance. For the time you spent doing the brakes a few extra minutes saves several in the long run. They sell or can get flex hoses at any parts store.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007