97 Ford Taurus SHO motor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 22:02   #1 (permalink)

97 Ford Taurus SHO motor

Hi....
I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 1997 SHO, Its been sitting for about 2 years, was still running, I started it up every so often. Went to start it this month and it won't turn over. Battery is fine, starter is fine. Took it to a mechanic, and at first he thought it was bad gas, so he dropped the tank, removed the old gas, and put in new. That didnt work. Then he did a compression test, and says that out of the four front coils that three of them have no compression and one has 60%. He has not tested the four in the back. So, basically he is saying that the motor is blown. Does this make sense for a car that has been just sitting? Is there another diagnostic test to tell if the motor for sure is shot?
Thanks for any advice.
C Allison
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 05:34   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 97 Ford Taurus SHO motor

Quote:
Hi....
I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a 1997 SHO, Its been sitting for about 2 years, was still running, I started it up every so often. Went to start it this month and it won't turn over. Battery is fine, starter is fine. Took it to a mechanic, and at first he thought it was bad gas, so he dropped the tank, removed the old gas, and put in new. That didnt work. Then he did a compression test, and says that out of the four front coils that three of them have no compression and one has 60%. He has not tested the four in the back. So, basically he is saying that the motor is blown. Does this make sense for a car that has been just sitting? Is there another diagnostic test to tell if the motor for sure is shot?
Thanks for any advice.
C Allison
Engine wont turn over? Then why would it be bad gas? How did he go a compression test without cranking the engine? Mechanic sounds like he's a crook! If your car had been starting/runnung fine its more that likely an electrical issue. And since when did the 97 Ford Taurus have a V8? Ask him that lol... FIRE THE MECHANIC!
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 97 Ford Taurus SHO motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
Engine wont turn over? Then why would it be bad gas? How did he go a compression test without cranking the engine? Mechanic sounds like he's a crook! If your car had been starting/runnung fine its more that likely an electrical issue. And since when did the 97 Ford Taurus have a V8? Ask him that lol... FIRE THE MECHANIC!
1996-1999 Taurus SHO's had a 3.4L V8 built by Yamaha, just like the 3.0L and 3.2L V6's used in prior years. Did thie mechanic check the fuel pressure?
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 21:15   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
1996-1999 Taurus SHO's had a 3.4L V8 built by Yamaha, just like the 3.0L and 3.2L V6's used in prior years.
Are you serious tbird? I wonder what kind of power that small of a V8 would produce? Hmmm, V8 in a Taurus, I like it
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 21:57   #5 (permalink)

Hi...
Thank you everyone for the replies.....And yes, it is a V8 :).
Anyway, I've given up on that mechanic, and had it towed to a different mechanic who says the first mechanic is crazy, and he does not think the engine is blown. He's only had it half a day, and is still working on finding out what is wrong, but he said its starting to get compression then losing it....Does anyone know why it would do that? He is supposed to call me tomorrow when he knows more.....but, what would cause it to lose compression like that? any ideas?
thanks again!
C Allison
callison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:19   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 97 Ford Taurus SHO motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
Are you serious tbird? I wonder what kind of power that small of a V8 would produce? Hmmm, V8 in a Taurus, I like it
I believe it was about 235HP. Don't remember the torque ratings.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49   #7 (permalink)

From what I understand about the V8 SHO is that the cam drives were pressed on and will slip, changing the cam timing. I have read on the SHO forms that they need to be welded, if not and they do slip to far the valves will hit on the pistons.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 18:44   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Yes that sounds like a cam failure. Pull the valve covers as continued cranking will only cause more damage.

Go to V8SHO.COM for more details.

If it is indeed a cam failure please report it with your vin # to the V8sho webmaster.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 18:11   #9 (permalink)

A V8?! Holy s*#! I need that in my '99 Sable. Something tells me that it would more trouble than its worth.
Brotha Sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:03   #10 (permalink)
issuer of free advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotha Sable
A V8?! Holy s*#! I need that in my '99 Sable. Something tells me that it would more trouble than its worth.
basically for you you would need to find a sho that was rear ended and swap subframe from the sho to the sable. along with the engine and transmission pcm and wire harness. possibly all fuel componates. then you can debate whether you need to swap brakes and wheels.

then you would want to invest in cam welding for the engine.
mre_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007