97 Sable - Air Conditioner - No cool air - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 16:12   #1 (permalink)

97 Sable - Air Conditioner - No cool air

We made a road trip 3 weeks ago and the air was cooling properly.

Just last week we get in to make a 1 hour trip from home and no cooling at all.

I purchased a can of 134 from Wally World. Actually I got the kit that has the
cheap gauge on the hose.

The clutch was NOT making the clicking noise.

So I hooked up the hose. The gauge did not register anything. Started charging and the gauge shows a rapid increase in pressure. When it gets to 45 Psi the clutch starts clicking every 5 seconds. When the clutch kicks in the pressure on the gauge would drop to about 25 Psi and then slowly rise back to 45 before the clutch kicks in again (this continues over and over). Still no cool air at all.

I have tried this twice today with the same result; rapid clicking, no cool air and pressure dropping and increasing.

What might be the problem? What should I check next?

--lance
Athens, AL
hobbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 20:03   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 97 Sable - Air Conditioner - No cool air

You will need more than one can to get enough pressure to stay kicked in. When it kick's in it's supposed to drop on pressure on low side as when its off both the high side and the low side pressure will equalize. In your case there is not enough freon to maintain a low pressure without dropping too low and kicking out on the low pressure switch. If it was working fine then all of a sudden nothing, and no reading on the gauge then you have a leak. Dont waste your money on freon till its fixed. Look for fresh oil on the lines and your leak will be near.

Myself I like to have a low pressure reading of 32psi. Too little or too much will cause it not to cool too well. Not for sure on the taurus, im guessing 3 1/2 to 4 cans. Keep adding till you reach a constant 32 to 35 or so psi with the valve closed on the can.

Sorry if I ramble on in this post, its been 105 degrees here and I have been out in it all day, I'm beat...
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007