'97 Sable Won't Shift when cold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
eek '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

So my sable idles well and runs pretty good. But when it's cold it shifts a little hard or sometimes it cant find where it needs to shift. Like I'll be driving and right when it should shift it doesn't and the Rpms spike upward.

If it's warm it will only do this for first gear. It doesn't do it in any other gear after, but if I come to a complete stop it will do it every time.

It's not like a dire problem, it's just really annoying when I have to go really slow after a stop and let it shift on it's own time.

mikeallen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 05:06 PM
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
So my sable idles well and runs pretty good. But when it's cold it shifts a little hard or sometimes it cant find where it needs to shift. Like I'll be driving and right when it should shift it doesn't and the Rpms spike upward.

If it's warm it will only do this for first gear. It doesn't do it in any other gear after, but if I come to a complete stop it will do it every time.

It's not like a dire problem, it's just really annoying when I have to go really slow after a stop and let it shift on it's own time.
Hello and good day:

Have you done the basics? Check the Trans Fluid?, and the Level?

Does this Happen always?

Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

Yeah I've checked the fluid it's good. It does it every time. It doesn't feel like it's slipping or anything like that. I was just wondering if it's like a transmission range sensor or something. (My ex's escort kinda did the same thing turned out it was TRS)
mikeallen is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
Yeah I've checked the fluid it's good. It does it every time. It doesn't feel like it's slipping or anything like that. I was just wondering if it's like a transmission range sensor or something. (My ex's escort kinda did the same thing turned out it was TRS)
You may be correct, the TRS, or the VSS could be causing this slipping.

Are you getting any codes?

Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

The check engine light is on, but I know it has a bad 02 sensor. I'll run it over to O'reillys in the morning and see if any other codes show up.

I might just throw some lucas transmission fix in there for good measure lol.
mikeallen is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-11, 07:23 PM
2002 F150 XLT
 
Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,326
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

Get some MAF cleaner while you're there and clean the MAF.

Bert
Bert is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 07:38 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,137
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

And when you put in your " transmission fix " save up for a new transmission.
chipset is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 08:26 PM
sixshooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 21
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

My old 96 did the same -- the tranny shop told me it was on it's way out and is a common problem. I talked with a lot of trans shops and most of them would not touch that transmission. I ended up getting it rebuilt--2600 dollars.
sixshooter is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 08:37 PM
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: '97 Sable Won't Shift when cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
My old 96 did the same -- the tranny shop told me it was on it's way out and is a common problem. I talked with a lot of trans shops and most of them would not touch that transmission. I ended up getting it rebuilt--2600 dollars.
Ouch Six!!

Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome